If I loved Avadon, what other SW game?

DaveSt

Hi All,

I just finished my first play through Avadon, which is also my first experience with a Spiderweb game. Overall, I would have to rate my experience in playing the game as one of the best I have had in years. Are the other SW games similar in play to Avadon? I have downloaded the demos for Geneforge 5 and Avernum 6, but honestly I am wondering if the crazy number of character attributes compared to Avadon will be too intimidating. Is it OK to jump right to the last game in either series or should I start back with an earlier title?

Thanks in advance!

You'll probably find more in common with Avadon from the Geneforge games than from Avernum or Nethergate (although naturally also major differences). The interface in Geneforge definitely evolved over the course of the series, so it could be good to start with the earlier games and then enjoy the improvements as they occur. But if you're used to Avadon already, you might prefer to start with the later games (G4 and G5). I think G1, G2, and G4 (not necessarily in that order) are generally lauded as the best of the Geneforges (on these forums, that is).

As far as the skill system goes, especially in Geneforge you'll find you only need a more limited selection depending on your character type and build (e.g. if you've got a Shaper, you won't bother pumping any of the martial skills).

what others said, Geneforge is closer to Avadon than Avernum is, Avernum has solid 4 members party and Geneforge and Avadon have 1 main character and some assistants (more or less helpfuls).

Also Avernum is somewhat small playground (and access to nearly all places at once) and Geneforge and Avadon have big playground (access to limited areas at a time).

Avernum has very limited flora while at Geneforge and Avadon have alot bushes, trees, etc.

All 3 gameseries have similar enemies and unique enemies (Avernum tends to attract demonic enemies).