What do you think of the hintbook?

Eljah

I bought the avadon hintbook in the spiderweb store for 10 $ and I am not sure what to think about it.

Avadon was my first rpg from spiderweb and I really love it. But starting playing Avadon I went tingly all over cause I thought I got stuck. Today I know I have to return to some locations later in the game when I have more experience or special items (e.g. the knife which opens the magical sealed doors) or that Jeff seems to like creating passages you can't reach. Without knowing that I tried hours of frustrating actions or running around without being sure whether I could succeed or not - so I bought the hintbook which I normaly never do `cause I like exploring and solving tricky quests. Anyway, I did buy it and it helped me understanding the "philosophy" of the game and allocated the hints I needed.

There are three main parts in the book: Walktrough - Area (or quest-)descrition - Maps

Imho I think all passages have blemishes or even bugs. What do you think?

The three major blemishes are...

1. walkthrough: searchfunction does not work properly! The whole workthrough part is not properly formated as text. Words like "dragon" or "trainer" from the walkthroughpart will not be displayed using the searchfuntion - which is extremly annoying.

2. Area (quest-)description: I miss more quest details. in the "area description" more information (e.g. where I got the quest or about the reward) would be helpful. I could not get the reward of two quests, cause I could not remember where to get the reward. (one of the wayfarers rewards and huntsman gable, which I found very late in the game).

3. Maps: I miss a caption. The maps do not display the characternames but just the numbers mentioned in the walkthrough, which makes ist much harder e.g. to briefly lock for certain characters or places.

1+3 are imho mayor flaws for a 10$-official-hintbook. 2 propably is a matter of taste. Some like more detailed quest information, some just prefer hints without a detailed how-to-desciption.

IF you have got the hintbook I would be interested in your opinion: Have you got the same "bugs" or is there an updated version available? Are all spiderwebs hintbooks like that or is the avadon just in a beta-version-state?

And don't get me wrong: I love Avadon and I think Jeff does a great job ;-)

• 1 month later...

I got the hintbook too.

It would have been nice if it told you who gave you the quests and where to find the reward. I missed the text after Halriks Farm and now I dont know where the reward is would have nice been if I didn't have to replay.

In the maps there are letters but are missing a txt box explaning the letters that is very annoying.

The search function worked fine in my version.

I have to say this is a very big game so I am glad I have the hintbook.