Mac people help please! Cannot connect to wireless

keira

Okay, so I've had this old PowerBook g4 sitting around for awhile and it's always seemed to work fine with my wireless. However, a few months back we switched from an open network to WPA2-personal. Today I dug the PowerBook out because I was going to mess with some stuff, but it can't seem to get along with the wireless. I really don't want to switch back to an open network so I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions. It's running osx 10.4.11, and whenever I tell it to join and enter the wifi p/w, it says "There was an error joining the AirPort network" I've tried manually typing in the ssid and telling it what type of security it was (tried all the WPA options) but nothing has worked frown

Not much to go on here. Can you connect to the internet using ethernet? That's always a good first step before trying wireless. Is the PB fully updated, using Software Update? I realize that it's been years since 10.4 was updated, but make sure.

Is the Airport card Airport Extreme? That is required for WPA2. You can check in System Profiler (or by looking at the card.)

Ethernet connects fine, it's just that the only spots to plug in is in the garage where the antanna comes in, and that's not very practical tongue

Whatever PB is, there was nothing for it in the Software Update (while connected via Ethernet), just iTunes and QuickTime. According to the System Profiler, my card is an "AirPort", with v9.52 firmware. Guess that means I'm out of luck, then smirk

PB = PowerBook

In the System Profiler you may want to select the Airport item in the Network section; if you just look at the summary given by selecting Network it appears to say 'Airport' for me, whereas within the Airport item it reports the card type more specifically as 'Airport Extreme'. You might also want to check the 'Supported PHY Modes' line, since it descibes which of the variants of 802.11 networks your card knows how to talk to.