Avernum 6 Ending Query [Spoilers and Requesting Spoilers]

Alberich

I played the game through, and find it's a trifle long to replay anytime soon. I ended with the Abyss still free (didn't kill the northern warlord), Melanchion still alive (I only did the scourge and darkside loyalist quests for him), and Gladwell alive but ineffective (I quit doing his quests after the first one). I was a little sad that some of my other quests (like killing the lich, the necromancer, the drake, and the Chitrach queen in/near the Eastern Gallery) didn't have any noticeable effect on the ending. I think those parts of the world ended up as Dragonland, so it makes sense that they wouldn't.

My question is - If I had killed Melanchion, and made Avernum dominate the underground again, would I have gotten a detailed situation report on the other caves? (e.g., "Thanks to your destruction of the Chitrach menace, agriculture thrives in the Eastern Gallery, and Fort Dranlon is renamed after you...")

Yes, certainly. After I killed the Slith who were irritating him and the giants who were irritating me, I talked to him. One of the questions was basically "How long is this bribe good for?" And his answer was "We'll see." He pretty freely expressed his view that he was among humans because the humans were too weak to stop him from taking whatever he wanted. Said I to myself, the Eastern Gallery is better off without him, and I wanted to see if the game would acknowledge that these lands were better off and ready to prosper.

Happily (this was late in the game on Torment) I could get one or two of his guardian statue thingies to come out and play without him.