Pandora's Box

keira

So, one of my IRL friends wanted to get involved on the radio show I (intermittently) do at CalRef, so I decided to help get everything set up for him upon the condition that I get to host said radio show using his (much better than my own) internet connection. Anyway, I get everything set up, and the way it worked out was that he'd end up managing the stream (when he was in charge) using the same computer that distributed the stream to the listeners.

Now, since I have infinite amounts of money the server computer is a brand-new high end state-of-the-art beauty. jk. It's some crapatron from the early 2000's that would have difficulty running Exile. Because of this, I told my friend (let's call him 'Johnny') to not play music files directly on the computer because the processor couldn't take it. Let me quote that. "'Johnny', don't play mp3s through the server comp because it can't handle them. Just use your machine and pass it through via the mic."

This was when things went wrong.

I went to go take a shower (this discussion was happening over chat) so I logged out and did my shower business. I come back and 'Johnny' is freaking out because it broke. I ask him what he did and he says 'It was just a little mp3...like only 30 seconds'. I threw a small tantrum.

This is when things got worse.

Apparently 'Johnny' (who mind you has about the software expertise of my mother) decided to go and change the settings of everything in an attempt to make it work. Now, I'm not the greatest server-configurator person so it's pretty messy. But it works perfectly fine if IP addresses don't change. Now it appears that everything is either missing or resemblant of the BoE source code.

The moral: Never let 'Johnny' anywhere near sudo