Speculating on ending artwork[G5]

For some reason, I only just realized that the pictures from the various 'cutscenes' (the intro, meeting with the council and the various endings) and load screen art are available in easy to open format in the games graphics folders.

Looking them over again, I found one particular image piqued my interest: the one from the ending of the shapers and rebels negotiating a peace settlement. (Well, two images really, since there's one with the shapers looking happy and the rebels unhappy, and vice versa*.) I was trying to identify the characters shown there. One of them is clearly Nawaz of the shaper council. The others are harder, and it's possible they're not named characters at all. The shaper in the center appears to be the same character from the intro art (seen shaping a wingbolt), but whether that means he's anyone in particular, I don't know. The agent, rebel human female, two serviles, and drakon I don't recognize from elsewhere in the game.

The images are listed as G404 and G405 in the 'Graphics Core' folder.

*I think it's a nice subtle touch that while everyone else's pose/facial expression changes between the two images, as does the sorceress protagonist's position in the background, the drakon looks equally furious in each image.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
Looking them over again, I found one particular image piqued my interest: the one from the ending of the shapers and rebels negotiating a peace settlement. (Well, two images really, since there's one with the shapers looking happy and the rebels unhappy, and vice versa*.) I was trying to identify the characters shown there. One of them is clearly Nawaz of the shaper council. The others are harder, and it's possible they're not named characters at all. The shaper in the center appears to be the same character from the intro art (seen shaping a wingbolt), but whether that means he's anyone in particular, I don't know. The agent, rebel human female, two serviles, and drakon I don't recognize from elsewhere in the game.

Hm. The central Shaper is probably High Councillor Shema (sp?), and the Rebel female is probably Greta (it's not Litalia, though, she wears a blue robe and has her hair in a bun.

No idea who the Drakon is. Akhari Blaze? I don't think you even meet him in anything but the Ghaldring ending...

I'm pretty sure that's not Shema, unless he shaved the beard and reverse-aged about thirty years. This guy looks somewhere around 30-40. Also, his robes are red, whereas Shema's are purple with gold trim. On the other hand, I am pretty sure Shema is the seated figure in the image that shows up right after the Spiderweb logo when you start up the game, based on the clothing visible. Hadn't picked up on that until recently.

The human female rebel could be Greta, but I find that unlikely, since: 1) this screen appears whether or not you kill Greta, though I guess it's possible that could just be carelessness on Jeff's part. 2) She's blond...upon reflection, I have no really good reason to think Greta wasn't. I guess I just assumed since Greta has the default agent graphic, which has dark brown hair. Jeff's descriptions of characters tend to be heavy on mien and light on physical details.

The Akhari Blaze idea has merit. We know he's alive in all the endings, and even though he only appears in the game if you play for Ghaldring, he gets mentioned in other endings (as the leader of the new nation of Sucia if Greta dies).

The PC in G5's art is a sorceress, wearing blue and black robes.

I think the character in the center of the peace agreement picture and in the wingbolt picture may be Rawal with a robe over his armor. It can't be any of the other Councilors and I can't think of anyone else important enough to be there.

Dikiyoba had assumed that the woman with black hair and a green shirt in the burning village picture was Greta, because she looks friendly with the drakons. However, the same woman appears on the Shaper's side of the table, so Dikiyoba don't know who she or the blond-haired woman are.