Another picking a buy thread

Petoffen

I'm feeling it's time to get a package, with them on sale.

Years ago I played a couple demos. Avernum and Geneforge each had their own feel and neither jumped out as 'the one to get' over the other, I could see wanting both. I tend to like the 'pet' angle of one, but the way the story goes made for some hard choices (pet masters seem to tend to be a bit evil/authoritarian).

The prices for the three packages on sale range from $33 to $56 - each more than I usually spend on a new game, and if I were to get all three, $140 - not to debate the value of 11 nice games, but that's a lot to spend especially when playing one or two might go a long way, hard to see playing them all (but we like to own them...)

Is either the first or second trilogy of Avernum 'the one to get where you won't miss the other a lot'?

Any tips for what to get, or is it pretty much get it all or miss out.

Originally Posted By: Petoffen
I'm feeling it's time to get a package, with them on sale.

Years ago I played a couple demos. Avernum and Geneforge each had their own feel and neither jumped out as 'the one to get' over the other, I could see wanting both. I tend to like the 'pet' angle of one, but the way the story goes made for some hard choices (pet masters seem to tend to be a bit evil/authoritarian).

The prices for the three packages on sale range from $33 to $56 - each more than I usually spend on a new game, and if I were to get all three, $140 - not to debate the value of 11 nice games, but that's a lot to spend especially when playing one or two might go a long way, hard to see playing them all (but we like to own them...)

Is either the first or second trilogy of Avernum 'the one to get where you won't miss the other a lot'?

Any tips for what to get, or is it pretty much get it all or miss out.

Basically, play a demo to a First Trilogy Avernum game, and then a Second Trilogy one. If you like the first one better, get the first one bundled and BoA and Nethergate. If you like the second one better, get the second one bundled and the Geneforge series.

Or you could just buy them all, but that's probably about a 1000-hour investment to finish all his games.

I loved Nethergate: Resurrection! Still my favorite Spiderweb game (of the full games that I've played - 1 Geneforge game, 1 Avernum game, and N:R). It does use the older (non-Geneforge) game engine, so, as always, play the demo to see if you can accept the interface. If you it doesn't bother you, I think the game has great atmosphere and a neat story!

Seriously, that's the advice to take. Play some demos, decide which series you like, and play it. If you enjoy both Avernum series, get the first: while the games are largely independent, A3's plot is spoiled by later games. The first trilogy also introduces Avernum and its flavor better.

The Geneforge saga is nice as a complete set, and it does tell a story from beginning to end.

—Alorael, who strongly recommends paying the additional asking price for Nethergate. If you find the engine palatable, it's a fantastic game.