A6 - How does Control Foe work? (spoily)

Okay, So I'm playing on a normal playthrough and I'm at the loyalists West of Spire, My characters are at about level 19. My priest has 16 priest spells, 7 intelligence, and 2 points in control foe (recently bought another), and I find that i am charming these loyalists far less now that I bought a second level in it. Am i going crazy or is there some other issue that is making it harder to charm them?

Were you able to charm the loyalists guarding the entrance, and now you're having trouble with the downstairs guys?

The underground loyalists are much higher in level and thus harder to charm than the topside ones. In fact, you probably don't want to do them just yet.

Well the first group of archers and warriors, the one right through the windows and out the first door (yes, while underground), seemed like i was charming about half the time, then when exploring to the north or west, it would be practically once ever 6 casts. anywho, i fought them off enough, and got relatively dominated by the remaining.. persons... but thank you for the quick response.