A6 - Playing Singleton Question

Samael

Hi Folks

I have beaten Avernum 6 using the standard 4 man group and I think I am going to try it as a singleton. I just have one question in this regard. I know I will level up faster as a singleton because it is the experience of 4 piled onto one character instead of being divided four ways but my concern is, is there a level cap of any kind (eg: avernum 2 was capped at level 50 I believe)?

Any other hints and tips would be appreciated as well.

Aaron

The level cap is 61. I don't think you will reach it naturally as a singleton, although there should be WAY more than enough gold available to reach it (after buying all skills from trainers) for a singleton, by using the skribbane method (which is four times as efficient for a singleton). In fact you can probably reach it halfway through the game -- something that makes a singleton game kind of appealing.

Remember that XP is adjusted for level, so you will be at a higher level than a group of 4 at any given point, but not anywhere near 4 times as high.

Is that true? Man, I didn't realize it was that much higher. A singleton is really tempting now. You should be able to skribbane your way to level 61 before finishing Southeastern Avernum! That's crazy. That's 380 skill points to play with, plus crazy skills from traits... say hello to +25 Blademaster for free... plus trainers... wowzers.

I've got a nephil DT NM at level 35 and I still have to finish the Abyss and do the Honeycomb. I did a few non combat quests in the Eastern Gallery. So with half the game to go I'm almost at the level I finished with a party of 4.

It's true that quests are giving me less than 100 XP each, but I still can do the skribbane XP buildup with the money I get in the Eastern Gallery and Occupied Lands.

If my math holds, it should be about 800 gp per level, for a singleton. My full party at the same point has more than 20,000 coins and spent more than 10,000 already, so there should be more than enough if you save and don't buy skills right away. Worthwhile I think, as the levels are worth a lot more, with traits.

I'm starting a singleton armed with this info. Slith DT EW. That last part took some thought, but after carefully comparing some items, really the only argument for needing NM is the Mercuric Plate, and there are two ways around it -- one is to use the Mercuric Chain instead, and the other is to just equip elemental blades or rat items. The saved SP for EW and NM are similar. EW however gives the encumbrance bonus as well, which effectively saves points of Strength. I want to see if I can get by on 2 Strength, to mitigate the penalty from the Q Sandals + M Armor.

You get to make 49-50 knowledge brews in Tenevra plus all the other knowledge brews/elixirs and wisdom crystals too.

I went with NM over EW since I could wear the blessed breastplate early in the game. Also there are a few gate wheel controls that need some strength especially one under the Colony Lands below the ogres.

It's tough at the start for a singleton to build up skills and stats but as Student of Trinity said once you have control foe and adrenalin rush it gets easier.