A6 - Getting into the lower level of Erika's tower spoilers

trinko

As long as you kill him when you're done all his quests, they have a minimal effect on the ending, if any at all. They do however, lead to tragic results throughout the course of the game. A true good guy would probably do none of his quests, but if your alright with a bit of intermediate tragedy, you can make up for it by slaying him when it's all over.

Spoilers regarding his quests and their effect on the ending:

Click to reveal..
He messes up Mertis pretty bad, but in my game where I killed him, it still said Mertis became prosperous in the end, regardless of the fact that I did the Undead Spiral activation quest.

He also has you kill the mayor of Spire. This was one of the saddest parts of the game for me, since I did so unknowingly and I kind of liked the mayor. As for it's effect on the ending, well, I also killed Spire's main ally (the dragon), and they still ended up pretty much the same as they were in previous Avernums.

Basically what I learned from my single playthrough is that if you go through the game doing every quest, good and bad, and kill every person you get the chance to, good and bad, you get a decent good guy ending where Avernum continues to exist, smaller, but still pretty awesome.