G5 Demo on Snow Leopard, anyone?

ctbk

I've tried to install Geneforge 5, but after making me choose the resolution it keeps me saying that it cannot load graphic resources. I've got a macbook running Snow Leopard with a case sensitive file system, but the problem remains even if I move the G5 folder to a case insensitive drive.

Can anyone run the G5 demo in Snow Leopard?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

About a year ago I posted some solution in this forum. But it needs some work in Terminal.app.

G5, and now A6 do not run on a case-sensitive disk per se. All new Macs have their disks formatted now case-sensitive, journaled hfs+.

The solution is to create an appropriate .dmg file, mount that and install G5 resp. A6 on that.

The following commands did work for me.

hdiutil create -megabytes 70 -fs HFS+ -volname g5 g5.dmg

sudo hdiutil mount -mountroot /mnt g5.dmg

Then installed Geneforge 5 on g5. That did it.

For playing afterwards you just have to mount the .dmg file in Terminal.app. The mounted volume will show up in the finder.

sudo hdiutil mount -mountroot /mnt g5.dmg

Good luck.

Edit: for Avernum 6 you will need larger .dmg file, something like that:

hdiutil create -megabytes 120 -fs HFS+ -volname a6 a6.dmg

Originally Posted By: Rare Blacksmith
About a year ago I posted some solution in this forum. But it needs some work in Terminal.app.
G5, and now A6 do not run on a case-sensitive disk per se. All new Macs have their disks formatted now case-sensitive, journaled hfs+.
...I'm pretty sure they default to case-insensitive still...

And also... why do you need the Terminal to create the disk image? Is Disk Utility not good enough for you?

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
And also... why do you need the Terminal to create the disk image? Is Disk Utility not good enough for you?

You're right, that probably comes from my personal history as a Unix veteran ;-)
Disk Utility does the job perfectly.
Anyway you have to use the command line for mounting the image. The image has to be mounted on a path with strictly lowercase characters. The Finder won't do that ...