Can't Install Avernum 1 and 2 or Geneforge 1

Outbacksam34

So I'm a big Spiderweb games fan and I bought all the Avernum and Geneforge series on disks a while back (around the time that Avernum 4 came out). At the time I was running OS 10.4 and when I went to install Avernum 1 I got an error message that said "You can't open the Application 'Avernum 1.0.2 Full Installer' because the Classic environment is no longer supported". (I got the same error when I tried to Install Avernum 2 and Geneforge 1)

Now, I never got around to addressing the problem back then for various reasons. I just contented myself with playing Geneforge 2-4 and Avernum 3-4. But now I've just recently upgraded to OS 10.5 and I decided to go back and try again to see if the problem fixed itself somewhere along the way. Of course, the error is still there and this time I want to do something about it.

Can anyone help me out? I think it's the installer that is the problem, not the games themselves, because I can download and play the demos just fine. If I had registration codes instead of disks I probably wouldn't have any problems at all.

I'm afraid your disks are now useless (at least as far as those 3 games are concerned). The error was not because you had OSX 10.4, but because you have an Intel mac. And you can play the demos because they have been upgraded to run on Intel macs; if you had already installed the game on a PPC mac and copied it over, you would have gotten the same error.

There are two options, I think. You could ask Jeff for a new CD (which will probably be $5 or something), or you could ask him for a registration code. You won't have to re-purchase the game – just tell him the address you bought it from originally.

• 1 month later...