Lerman's Pass-entry to South Keep?[G5]

I've cleaned out the Gazer and all his cohorts, and in the process got a key that's supposed to let me pass into the South Keep and onwards....but it won't! There's one of those vertical sliders that should open on my approach but it doesn't budge! I checked my inventory of special items and that key is there so.......? Is there a quest that I need to complete this section? If not, what?

The key does indeed allow you to flip a lever, which is not next to the gate but which is outside of the main complex that you probably don't want to mess with right now.

—Alorael, who also believes there are two separate keys. One opens the gate south, and the other one lets you reopen the way north. You probably want to find both.

You can get the first key after you've killed the captain. That lets you leave the area back into the Mera-Tev. The second key is from killing the Gazar, which you can use to unlock all of the remaining doorss, and to unlock the south gate's lever, which let's you into the room that holds the lever that you use to unlock the south gate and leave to the south.