Experience

Not quite accurate. He appears in two campaigns. After the first one, he starts again at level 1 and with an empty inventory in campaign 2. Yes, there's a plot reason for his depowering, but mostly it's so that you can start the new campaign from the bottom again.

—Alorael, who can think of a fair number of RPGs that start you with a fairly powerful party and then quickly depower it, either by switching characters or by taking things away. Usually it's to make learning commands easy before you face real threats. Occasionally, as in Lufia, it's for plot reasons.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Feo Takahari
I can't remember the title, but the one game I've tried with this system was a good example of the downside--I want to get something more than a bit of excess cash from killing that giant spider that takes 10 hits to die and can kill me in 2! (This was some game that takes place entirely underground, with you as an amnesiac trying to prevent a god of evil from returning and killing everyone for no apparent reason.)

Arx Fatalis?

''That'' was it! As for the question on whether the spider was plot-significant: no, it was in a side room standing near a gemstone. Killing it just made it easier to get the gemstone, which you could then sell for a bit of cash that wasn't really all that necessary anyways.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Constitutionally Capable
Not quite accurate. He appears in two campaigns. After the first one, he starts again at level 1 and with an empty inventory in campaign 2. Yes, there's a plot reason for his depowering, but mostly it's so that you can start the new campaign from the bottom again.

—Alorael, who can think of a fair number of RPGs that start you with a fairly powerful party and then quickly depower it, either by switching characters or by taking things away. Usually it's to make learning commands easy before you face real threats. Occasionally, as in Lufia, it's for plot reasons.

Nope. You're thinking of the original Warcraft 3: Rain of Chaos. The previous poster was speaking of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, which was the expansion pack. In the Undead campaign there Arthas starts out powerful and weakens over time for plot reasons.