Who has good loot?

Dunbar42

I saw in mentioned in another thread that Sleater (mage in the honeycomb who blesses you so you can kill undead) drops a robe of the magi.

Now I generally don't kill NPCs, but that robe rocks. And he already helped me kill undead, and I did his second quest to explore Athron's lair. Since as far as I know you don't need him for anything else...well, I thought I could put his robes to better use.

So I'm curious...do any other NPCs have powerful items on them? Preferable ones you can kill without angering a whole town.

If you attack a person where nobody else can see, the town doesn't get mad at you.

Grindstone is the earliest place you can get this, but anyplace with these NPCs will have this. The archer guards drop yew bows and steel shields and the warrior guards will drop iron breastplates and iron broadswords.

EDIT: Not will, can. These are their best drops.

Quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:
If you attack a person where nobody else can see, the town doesn't get mad at you.
Specifically, you have to make sure nobody else can see you. It doesn't matter if they can see the person you attacked. Because, you know, arrows randomly appear in people's backs for no reason all the time.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:
Specifically, you have to make sure nobody else can see you. It doesn't matter if they can see the person you attacked. Because, you know, arrows randomly appear in people's backs for no reason all the time.
Hey, hey... I've seen it happen.

Why shoot innocent NPC's? The useful treasure doesn't significantly affect game play and the experience is slight. You can get better equipment earlier on, but it will just encourage Jeff to make them harder to kill in future games. You'll start seeing him make certain ones unkillable after that fiasco with killing the Portal Mage in Fort Avernum.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Nope, that works for theft, but if a NPC can see the person you attack they'll turn hostile. (Provided, of course, that neither the witness nor the murdered are neutral)
Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Why shoot innocent NPC's? The useful treasure doesn't significantly affect game play and the experience is slight. You can get better equipment earlier on, but it will just encourage Jeff to make them harder to kill in future games. You'll start seeing him make certain ones unkillable after that fiasco with killing the Portal Mage in Fort Avernum.
You don't get yew longbow drops for a long while. Here you can get 4 before reaching Fort Draco. And yew longbows make a huge difference. And as for the unkillable deal, he'll only do that for people important for quests.

--------------------

As for good loot, there's a blind blacksmith who does custom work outside the tower colony who drops a blessed breastplate and blessed broadsword. But if you kill him you'll have to fight your way through a bunch of lancing fungi to get out.