HELP about experience!!

Ok kinda new to this game so...

I have one Character that is at level 44

and all the others are at level 33!

Now when experience is gained from killing monsters, is it based on the highest level person in your party?

For intance, because one character is at level 44, will even the level 33 characters get less experince from killing monsters because he is so tough?

Or will they get more experience than him for monsters that are tough for them, but weak for him?

Basically is it dividely equaly among your party and based on the highest level person in your party? Or is it dividly equally but people who are lower levels get more because the monster is tougher than them?

I just want to know if it will hurt me, experience wise that I have this level 44 guy and 3 level 33 guys!!!!

Quote:
Originally written by Charged Slartile:
You got it right -- it's based on the highest level character.
I don't think this is the case. I played through most of one area with a dead PC and he was almost a full level behind another PC with an identical experience penalty by the time I got back to town, but he gradually caught up as I continued with the game. So I'm pretty sure experience is calculated separately for each character.

Low level characters do catch up, but they catch up slower if the difference is greater. They benefit more from whatever experience they get, but they get less experience if there's a very high level character. No, it doesn't make much sense.

—Alorael, who thinks the solution might be killing that level 44 character and leaving it dead for a while while the others catch up. (For the record, he's pretty sure he never got any characters to level 44.)