Traps warning reset

I wonder if there is some way to reset the traps warning message? If you try to open something trapped and you cannot - you are told so. But if you want to try later with better tools skill, the game assumes you want to open it anyway and you risk stuppidly dying. I don't know if your higher tool skill even gets checked. When (if ever) the warning message is back on a trapped chest?

This is a major pain in the ass for a party without too much tool use. The first time I tried the game, I died beneath Fort Monastery after I opened the "authorized only" equipment chest. It warned me that I cannot disarm the trap and then I assigned a few more points to the tool skill and tried again. I was so pissed off when the trap killed my party, that I abandoned the game for 6 months.

I thought that a game with trap system so foolish cannot be too good. I know now that the Avernum 4 is fun to play, but even so the author should seriously consider making another trap try/open system.

• 3 months later...