Semicolon tracking

Crusador

Hi people,

that's a newbie question blush . One thing that bothers me is that every time I forget a ; I spend like an hour to find where's the problem. I know the game says "missing semicolon in line xx", but the missing semicolon is never exactly in line xx, but always a little up or down...

Is there any way to easily find the missing semicolon?

Thanks smile !

Alint is what you're looking for; it does better error checking than BoA does. It's been a long time since I installed Alint, so I don't remember how good the instructions are. Ask for help if it's unclear (and let us know if you're using Windows or Macintosh, since the instructions will be different).

I'm guessing that you tried to run Alint by double-clicking the executable. Unlike the Macintosh version of Alint, you have to run the Windows version from the command line. If you've never run anything from the command line before, let me know, and I can give more detailed instructions once I'm at home and have access to a Windows computer.

(Actually, what I'll probably do is add a chapter to my design tutorial about Alint. The tutorial is incomplete, and I haven't updated it in months, but since I'll be answering a question about Alint anyway, I might as well put it up there.)

Originally Posted By: Crusador
Yeah, that's exactly what I was doing frown
I have no idea how I should use it, but it looks a useful tool...

Hit WinKey-R (windows key), type 'cmd', hit enter

type 'cd \Users\Diniz\Documents\Daniel\', hit enter. This step is most likely optional but eh. It basically sets the current folder for the command line to where you have the executable stored.

then type 'alint <path to script file in double quotes>' and hit enter. For example, 'alint "C:\boa\scenarios\nobreath\nobreath.txt" '

It may also be possible to drag and drop a txt file onto the Alint executable icon. I have not tried this, however. Worth a shot though.

I'm trying to use Crimson Editor now. It's handy for reading other scenarios' scripts and it's good to have the lines numbered, but I think all text editors (except for Notepad...) do it.

I tried to drop a txt file into Alint but it doesn't work. I think the command line is fine, it's not hard to use as I thought it would be smile

I'm trying to use Crimson Editor now. It's handy for reading other scenarios' scripts
Crimson Editor is a great text editor in general. I too use it to read scenario scripts; I even wrote a custom syntax file for Avernumscript.
and it's good to have the lines numbered, but I think all text editors (except for Notepad...) do it.
Having numbered lines is very useful in general, not just reading scripts. Wordpad doesn't use numbered lines either.