Getting schooled in Geneforge 2

After getting done with G1 (and loving it) I am having a heck of a time getting through G2. I am a level 23 shaper and am in the Crystal Caverns attempting to talk to the Drayk(sp?) so I can join the awakened. However, I must have done something in there earlier in the game to piss off the Icy Spectors and they slay my party with EASE before I can get close to the Drayk. These Spectors have something like 530 HP and my battle Alphas each have a 5% chance of hitting them. I dont have a prayer at all.

Is there a way to reset certain areas like the Caverns so I can continue with the game? I am dying way too ofter in G2 and not making much progress.

thanks!

I believe Tuldrac means all the way to the right (unless his map is a mirror image of mine).

Anyway, the cave you're looking for is east(?) of Medeb, past a swamp full of unstable roamers. Just inside the cave is a spawner that makes said roamers. Also, the atmosphere of the cave will deal damage to you over time. The drayk you're looking for is a little over half way through the mine. Don't go to much farther as the ghosts get much more powerful and the damage you take with time increases.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips. I eventually had to cheat in that cave (which I now know is the WRONG cave) to kill everything.

Is it me or does G2 seem to be totally digital as far as difficulty (I am playing on "normal") ? Digital meaning "really easy" or "really fricking hard". I find myself getting absolutely slaughtered in many, many encounters. When my battle alphas have a 10% chance to hit some floating eyeball with 800 hit points, what is a poor shaper to do but punt? It is stating to ruin the flow for me, reloading all the time. I might put it down and give G3 a try, or replay G1.

Originally Posted By: botski
Thanks, everyone, for the tips. I eventually had to cheat in that cave (which I now know is the WRONG cave) to kill everything.

Is it me or does G2 seem to be totally digital as far as difficulty (I am playing on "normal") ? Digital meaning "really easy" or "really fricking hard". I find myself getting absolutely slaughtered in many, many encounters. When my battle alphas have a 10% chance to hit some floating eyeball with 800 hit points, what is a poor shaper to do but punt? It is stating to ruin the flow for me, reloading all the time. I might put it down and give G3 a try, or replay G1.

Are you sure you haven't wandered into areas too high level for you? After doing the main Awakend lands, you should head to the southeast to Barzite lands and train up a bit/get new creations before attempting optional, very difficult dungeons.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Are you sure you haven't wandered into areas too high level for you? After doing the main Awakend lands, you should head to the southeast to Barzite lands and train up a bit/get new creations before attempting optional, very difficult dungeons.

I am level 28 and have been playing for many hours, so it seems I *should* be high enough. How much of the game depends on keepig your creations alive and leveling them up? I cant keep ANYTHING alive.

As a Shaper, it's very helpful but not totally essential. What difficulty level are you playing on?

Honestly, power level in Geneforge has a lot more to do with your choices -- how you spend skill points and what spells and equipment you favor -- and less to do with just gaining XP and levelling up.

There is what i would call a path of least resistance in g2.

Go through all the servant lands, then awakened, then most of the brazite then the taker lands.

You dont stand much of a chance against a gazer untill a much higher level or being able to summon a drakon/gazer/rotgoth yourself (as a shaper). They are pretty ownage =P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: botski
After getting done with G1 (and loving it) I am having a heck of a time getting through G2. I am a level 23 shaper and am in the Crystal Caverns attempting to talk to the Drayk(sp?) so I can join the awakened. However, I must have done something in there earlier in the game to piss off the Icy Spectors and they slay my party with EASE before I can get close to the Drayk. These Spectors have something like 530 HP and my battle Alphas each have a 5% chance of hitting them. I dont have a prayer at all.

Is there a way to reset certain areas like the Caverns so I can continue with the game? I am dying way too ofter in G2 and not making much progress.

thanks!

I have come across the same Icy Spectors in my new game and the reason they are there is because you intentionally forced combat with other (Neutral) ghosts in the caverns. You are probably well past this part but if you remember, the ghosts only become hostile if you picked a crystal from a spire and the ghost was close to this act, otherwise they would remain neutral.

I would always try and have a few ghosts around before I robbed a crystal so I could fight them and get the experience. However, if you force attack any of the ghosts the Icy Spectors will come after you and like you said, they are extremely tough.

As for making an area reset, I am not sure if you can edit the game some way but I have my own method that seems to work just fine. Whenever I enter a new area I make a new saved game called something like "Crystal Caverns Start". That way if I make a mistake I can just reset the area and do it again. I use a seperate saved game called "Combat Save" for my progress inside the map.

Quote:

I would always try and have a few ghosts around before I robbed a crystal so I could fight them and get the experience. However, if you force attack any of the ghosts the Icy Spectors will come after you and like you said, they are extremely tough.

I remember killing off the earlier shades and never having the icy specters attack me. I would kill whatever shade level I could handle and then leave. After killing everything except the 3 icy specters and the drayk, I could still go near them without being attacked. I used the attack button on them and took the crystals afterward on some occasions, grabbed crystals and got attacked on others. I did this on every playthrough and never have the icy specters attacked my until i tried to take their crystals, attacked them, or made the drayk angry.

All I can really say is what is happening in my game and as of last night it happened 2 times in a row when I started the level. I attacked the Ghosts at the front and soon enough the Spectres came calling. The 3rd time, I made the ghosts attack me by getting Crystals and no specters came.

Who knows, could be a glitch or something.

• 2 weeks later...

OK he must be going in the wrong area(its been awhile since i played G2) if he's going in cavern with wyx in it then its the wrong one, The place you need to go to is past the pyroroamers with 2 ornks map, Its called "Crystal Mines" and theres a drayk somewhere near the middle of the map(best be safe than sorry have your heal or major heal spell ready to use that place does damage over time)