avernum 5 - where to buy?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
ArchMage81 ArchMage81

Soldier

• Member ID: 5,069
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:58 AM #1 avernum 5 - where to buy?

ok guys, i own avernum 4, avernum scape from the pit and avernum crystal souls, im going to wait for the remake of avernum 3, but i want to play avernum 5, do they sell it alone somewhere or do i have to but the whole pack trilogy?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:26 PM #2 avernum 5 - where to buy?

http://store.steampo...com/app/206020/

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:55 PM #3 avernum 5 - where to buy?

or directly from spidweb: https://spiderwebsof...e.com/form.html

gog has same bundle as steam has so if you don't have steam account then gog, gog doesn't sell 2nd trilogy games individually although.

ArchMage81 ArchMage81

Soldier

• 149 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:29 AM #4 avernum 5 - where to buy?

OMG i'm going to buy it from steam now!!!

ArchMage81 ArchMage81

Soldier

• 149 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:57 AM #5 avernum 5 - where to buy?

men it says windows xp and i dont see anything about mac, i want it for mac, how do i know they have it available?

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:59 AM #6 avernum 5 - where to buy?

The Mac version of Avernum 5 is not on Steam. The only way way to get the Mac version is to purchase it directly from Spiderweb Software or to the buy the bundle from GOG.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

ArchMage81 ArchMage81

Soldier

• 149 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:52 AM #7 avernum 5 - where to buy?

View PostTyranicus, on 26 December 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

The Mac version for Avernum 5 is not on Steam. The only way way to get the Mac version is to purchase it directly from Spiderweb Software or to the buy the bundle from GOG.
now i know why i dont buy on steam!!!

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:35 PM #8 avernum 5 - where to buy?

View PostArchMage81, on 26 December 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

now i know why i dont buy on steam!!!

It's not really Steam's fault, or at least not directly. The Mac versions of Spiderweb games released prior to Avadon use resource forks to store the games' graphics, sounds, and other data. This method has been deprecated on macOS for quite some time, and very few applications still used them when Steam started supporting macOS. One major issue with resource forks is that, if the file containing them is stored on a filesystem that does not support them, the data is lost. For this reason, and the fact that Valve has little impetus to develop support for a file that Apple has deprecated for over a decade, games containing resource forks cannot be sold on Steam.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:51 PM #9 avernum 5 - where to buy?

View PostTyranicus, on 26 December 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

One major issue with resource forks is that, if the file containing them is stored on a filesystem that does not support them, the data is lost.
This is an overstatement.  Resource forks can be safely stored on any filesystem iff they are first compressed (or otherwise packaged) by a program that does support them.  Compressing and expanding files are not difficult tasks.

I understand why Steam made the choice they did -- there would be very real trade-offs involved in dealing with games that have resource forks -- but it was nonetheless a choice.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users