• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:38 AM #1 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

EDIT: (was remembering things that probably didn't happen again, regarding thinking I had seen some terminology I'd seen in this community elsewhere when I probably didn't, whoops...)

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff, 23 October 2016 - 12:42 PM.

The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Alorael Agonistes Alorael Agonistes

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:10 AM #2 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

Fair warning: exercise caution when Googling "hugemassive" or you might find objectionable material.

—Alorael, who has never been particularly enmeshed in the Blades community. He knows Bob is a local term, but he's never come across hugemassive at all. And he also can't find it in other places. Is it much of a jargon term at all?

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:34 PM #3 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

I don't know, come to think of it. I can't think of a specific instance. There is a good chance that it was a memory formed out of nothing. That's part of my illness, my memory doing screwy things, putting memories together in incorrect ways and such. It's also part of why I didn't repost this myself after it was moved to the mod board, even though you allowed me to... >_>
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:26 PM #4 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

I have come across the term 'hugemassive' before, but only colloquially, and only to mean, well, huge massive - and never in reference to Spiderweb.

'Bob', meanwhile, is something I only associate with the SW/Blades community, and I've never heard of it outside of here.

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• Member ID: 4,273
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:32 AM #5 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

I can't get Google to back me up on this, but I recall HUGEMASSIVE starting out on Shadow Vale. Someone (pretty sure TGM, but not certain) implored Ephesos to create a HUGEMASSIVE scenario (the all caps is important), and it went off from there. At one point Smoo (again, pretty sure but not certain), through an act of subterfuge, recovered a file titled 'hugemass.bas' from Eph's computer and revealed its shocking contents to the world. dbot points to anyone who can find evidence of these events.

I first came across Bob in this article by the Creator, though it's possible the term was in use before then. I've never ever seen it used outside this community.
^<@<: Pronounced exactly as it's spelt.
Design Tutorial (incomplete) | The Metagame | AIMhack Crack Pairings
Artemis (Planning Thread)
Last ten games. What have you been playing lately?

Arch-Mage Solberg Arch-Mage Solberg

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 252
  • 722 posts
  • LocationIn the Ether!

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:20 AM #6 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

I guess that kinda makes me a 'Bob' too, in a way.
Solberg has been kept alive for many years by pure magic. Magic that infused every particle of his being. He tapped into all of that energy, letting it pour forth, to fight the slithzerikai. And now it is gone. Archmage Solberg, hero of Avernum, fearless defender of your homeland since the earliest days, is gone.

Solberg Percival McGangor  Born 742 Died 882  140 years

Scorpius Scorpius

Fly in the Sky

• Member ID: 9
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:13 PM #7 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

View PostAmong the Lines, on 23 October 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

Fair warning: exercise caution when Googling "hugemassive" or you might find objectionable material.

Posted Image
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio, United States

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:04 AM #8 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

View PostDintiradan, on 27 October 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

dbot points to anyone who can find evidence of these events.
oh boy does this mean it's time for a dbot forum bot?

tripfeet tripfeet

New Arrival

• Member ID: 9,609
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThe Moosetrap

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:13 AM #9 "Hugemassive", "Bob", and Spidweb

View PostDintiradan, on 27 October 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

I can't get Google to back me up on this, but I recall HUGEMASSIVE starting out on Shadow Vale. Someone (pretty sure TGM, but not certain) implored Ephesos to create a HUGEMASSIVE scenario (the all caps is important), and it went off from there. At one point Smoo (again, pretty sure but not certain), through an act of subterfuge, recovered a file titled 'hugemass.bas' from Eph's computer and revealed its shocking contents to the world. dbot points to anyone who can find evidence of these events.

I first came across Bob in this article by the Creator, though it's possible the term was in use before then. I've never ever seen it used outside this community.

I remember using that phrase, yeah.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: etymology, slang, terminology, history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users