Will this party work in Avernum?

GoodOld Jack

I just finished Icewind Dale with a Paladin and Thief and it was a lot of fun. Can I try something similar in Avernum 4? I was thinking of doing a fighter/priest and a full class fighter combo where one would focus on blasting/healing and then when melee is forced, both will enter and take down enemies with more experience lvls. I thought that I could level faster than most parties and achieve a higher lvl score.

Does that exist like in the other Avernum games? I was able to get to lvl 43 in the remake.

Sure why not, there is a lot of flexibility in party composition able to complete the Avernum titles.

You should consider making them nonhuman but other than that, you are going to miss mage spells. You will have to manage items to counter this.

I think the more natural 2-man party would be fighter/priest and mage/priest but you should be able to do it.

Using fewer party members usually means more planning on character skill points distributions, eg. just enough to unlock special skills, or whatever.

Using only priest spells has worked in the past. It isn't as easy as having a mage and spell energy cost is higher for priest spells versus mage spells.

Like Avernum: Escape from the Pit, the remake, the experience decreases as your level increases.

One difference Avernum 4 has from all the other Avernum games is Tool Use combines with the mage spell Unlock. This allows you to open locks that you can't normally get with Tool Use.