Vahnatai = Mexicans?! (Not racism, look at post)

... So you're comparing the Vahnatai cloak to the traditional Mezoamerican poncho. Okay, yeah, I think I can buy that.

Other than that, though, the resemblance dies. You could by the same token make a connection between the Vahnatai and the Southeast Asians due to the similar shape of a Wave Blade vs. a Keris. Then you've the Germanic Flamberge connection on top of it.

The Vahnatai are just the Vahnatai, and if there is any real parallel that can be drawn, they're most similar to traditional depiction of the "grays" type alien.

I get the impression that it's more of a draped robe or cloak, much lighter than a poncho, and with very wide sleeves. You can already see it in larger form in A4-6.

—Alorael, who imagines that clothing takes on a very different role in caves, where there isn't weather and where the temperature is stable. On the other hand, in Avernum there sometimes is weather, and while the temperature in any one place is set, you can find very hot and very cold areas.