buying spells vs. finding spell books

btmorex

Hi,

Can someone explain the difference between buying spells + improvements vs. finding spellbooks in dungeons? I notice that when I find a spell in a dungeon I still get the options to buy it and improve it. It seems kind of odd that I have to pay for it even though I already learned it to be able to improve it.

On a similar note, I notice that the learning a spell message is something like "Your skill with <whatever> +1". Does that mean if I've already bought and improved the spell that it will get even more improved?

Quote:
Originally written by btmorex:
Can someone explain the difference between buying spells + improvements vs. finding spellbooks in dungeons? I notice that when I find a spell in a dungeon I still get the options to buy it and improve it. It seems kind of odd that I have to pay for it even though I already learned it to be able to improve it.
You can always buy up to 2 levels in each spell, regardless of how many levels you got by means other than buying it. Paying to improve a spell you already know is almost never worth it: the only effect will be a tiny increase in the spell's effectiveness, equivalent to one extra point of Spellcraft or Magery.

Quote:
On a similar note, I notice that the learning a spell message is something like "Your skill with <whatever> +1". Does that mean if I've already bought and improved the spell that it will get even more improved?
Yes, but as above, only by a small amount.