Problem in Avernum?

I seem to have a problem with one of the quests

in Avernum 5.

The quest is the Pylon lesson.

I talked to the general and got the quest + the crystal. I then activated the stone portal and teleported to the magic portal nexis thing.

I talked to the gatekeeper and killed his shades.

(and talked to the sergent whatshername)

I then teleported back to the general and talked to him. asked for orders and was told AGAIN to find out about the pylons! frown

What did I not do to finish this quest? confused

I am stuck and need help. I do have a registered version by the way. cool

Did you get a satchel of activation crystals from Pirro the guy with the shade quest? Check your special items list (click the book symbol on the right and then special items). That should be what you need to finish the quest so that General Redmark lets you leave the demo area.

Also the golem that guards the goblin filled tunnels responds to that satchel.

Try shift-D, when a box opens up type 170 1 2. This is the code to set the flag that you got the satchel and should now allow you to go and talk to General Redmark to continue.

If this doesn't work, then you may have a corrupt file so try removing the game and reinstalling.

• 3 months later...

Nope cuz I have the same problem and I didn't kill the golem but showed him the satchel to show that I had authorization to pass... although why it would stop me from LEAVING the area I don't know. (since I came through the downstairs of the fort rather then up through the tunnels).

Dikiyoba gave me the link to this thread and I'll try it out to see if this solves it and it does! I'm thinking that getting the satchel, killing the shades and leaving the fort via underground, and running into the golem (killing it or choosing not to) triggers this error. Thanks again Dikiyoba for helping me find this post.