ideas for the pit crawler

flashknit

This is cheap, but virtually risk-free: fight the larva things. Be sure at least one is left when the pit crawler itself becomes active. When it does, run to the part of the lair between the exit and the main cavern that is alongside the big hole. Standing on that 1-block wide ledge, only one thing at a time can attack, and even then it can attack only one character at a time. So stick your toughest tank in front and put all your other characters in safety.

Now, this is the key part - MAKE SURE that a larva gets between you and the pit crawler, occupying the only space that can attack your party. Since the pit crawler is melee only, it has no way to get to you to attack. Slow the one larva that can attack you for good measure, DON'T KILL IT. Whack on the pit crawler (and the larvae not "protecting" you) at your leisure with ranged attacks. None of them can do anything to you.

Of course, this exposes a serious flaw in the realism of the game, but the rules allow it and fair is fair.

When the pit crawler comes out, use a mass madness scroll to try and charm the abyssmal worms into attacking the pit crawler. This works about half the time with dazing the lot being more common.

Just make sure you are as far from it when it moves out as you can be. Use summoned creatures to block it's advance. Assault crystal or elixir to add extra damage. Since you only get experience for killing it and not the worms that's the only thing to worry about hitting.

I managed this after a 3 reloads. I didnt do anything really different from other boss mobs. Buffed up and killed the worms. They appear in the same spots every time. So I moved my guys there and summoned a couple of allies.

On normal difficulty you can take a worm out with a javelin, I only have throw skill at 3, with each of me neph party. 2 to start and one from reading a book. I dunno about harder, but this made the worms cake. once the pit crawler attacked I terrorized it. That was the key for me. Keep it feared and bash it down.