help me reach Dhonal's Keep as Agent specializing in mechanics / leadership

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious, but I've had the hardest time reaching Dhonal's Keep. I'm playing one of the wimpiest sorts of characters - an agent specializing in mechanics and leadership. You see, I think combat is totally boring and I like to avoid or minimize it whenever I can. But unlike in GF1 and especially GF2, I'm finding the limited combat route to be much more difficult in GF3. I'm kind of having difficulties reaching Dhonal's Keep from Fort Wilton. Even playing on Easy mode - and it kills me to admit to playing on Easy on a board - I keep getting my arse kicked on the way there. Maybe the answer to this is in the hint book, which I've ordered but haven't received yet. Can anyone give me advice?

Well I eventually made it by going through Spharon's Lands. I think if I had higher leadership I could have convinced the serviles to let me pass by, but as it was, they weren't too difficult to beat.

I thought about trying the Purification Plant, but I absolutely loathe those areas with poison in the air, it's so easy to die and just not very fun at all.