Errand boy vlish

Maybe all the GF games have had this feature, but I just noticed it, and it's strange.

You can pick up any items to which any of your party is close. So you can dump a pile of things by the dock, leave a vlish there to guard them, and saunter off to the north edge of the map. Then hit 'g', and just by clicking on all the stuff that appears, transfer it instantly across the map.

I just picture that eager vlish, running back and forth with all your things as fast as its little tentacles can carry it ...

I have noticed this too, I can take my PC and stick it in the corner, then have any of my creatures go into a shop, take all the stuff lying on the floor, and every single time it says "You stole the item without anyone noticing you" even though my creation is in plain view of the shopkeeper!

this must be a bug, I checked and GF2 does not have this feature.

still kinda nice, though, I can take anything I want, and no one cares!

This was something that came up in beta testing - moving to and picking up items was very tricky when you had a large group of creations and your shaper was not at the front of the pack. If you wanted to pick something up in a corner or small room you had to individually select your character and move them rather than moving your whole party. More often than you not you would end up positioning your shaper out of reach of whatever you were after. It was annoying.

The discussion here highlights an interesting side-effect of the change. Nonetheless, I believe the advantages in terms of streamlined gameplay of the current arrangement make it superior to the alternative. Maybe a tweak to the stealing code could close the loophole - but it is kind of nifty as it is.

Interesting thought: While a battle alpha may not be quick, maybe it takes something and then says to the shopkeeper in a Mafioso goon voice "You didn't see anything - did you?"