Does fl_blocked work?

Another quick question:

I want to prevent the party from walking on an area within a town. According to the docs, any terrain with fl_blocked set to 1 should make the terrain impassable. According to the corescendata.txt file, both terrain types 23 (water) and 71 (pit) have their fl_blocked flag set to 1 -- so to my way of thinking I should be able to use these terrain types to prevent the party from walking on the areas of town I don't want them entering.

Alas, I can't get this going. I've placed both water and pit terrain in this area of town, but the party can still enter it. So how are you supposed to prevent the party from being able to walk on an area of town?

The only way I've been able to figure this out is to create a special encounter and use the block_party() call -- but surely this is overkill. Is this a bug in the game, perhaps? The docs clearly state that any terrain with fl_blocked set to 1 will be impassable, and characters won't be able to walk over it.

Clues, anyone? Again, thanks in advance...

PS: I'm partly asking this because I want to be able to include the answers in the next revision of the BoA editor cookbook...so rather than just kludge together a solution, I want to know how to do it "right".

Hmm... water should definitely do the trick. I had to create a water tile the party COULD walk on to use... well, it's hard to explain and doesn't really matter. smile I just had to do it.

You are exiting the town and coming back to test, aren't you? I've found you definitely have to do that if you're changing the blocked/not blocked status of terrains/floors. Even then, I've had some seem stubborn about changing for me. I'm not sure, but it might be another of those things that gets set only the very first time you enter a city.

"You are exiting the town and coming back to test, aren't you? I've found you definitely have to do that if you're changing the blocked/not blocked status of terrains/floors. "

This could very well be the problem. The game keeps track of what spaces are blocked in an array, and it doesn't constantly recalculate it for obvious performance reasons.