it_ability_3 = 64;

it_ability_str_3 = 1;

it_ability_4 = 70;

it_ability_str_4 = 30;

it_special_class = 6;

it_weight = 150;

it_magic = 1;

it_cursed = 1;

Why don't you compare yours to the default items? Commenting something out doesn't necessarily mean that variable is set to 0.

Code:
begindefineitem 49;	it_name = "Short Sword";	it_full_name = "Cursed Short Sword";	it_variety = 1;	it_damage_per_level = 4;	it_bonus = -3;	it_floor_which_sheet = 1004;	it_floor_which_icon = 9;	it_inventory_icon = 8;	it_value = 10;	it_weight = 80;	it_magic = 0;	it_cursed = 1;

Actually, some (but not all) cursed items don't seem to be properly cursed for me either. I assumed this was just because they weren't defined as such. My suspicion is that curse working/not working has to do with the type of item it is.

Try Morog's Scepter in Za-Khazi Run; I know for a fact that was cursed for me.

Alrite, I figured out the real deal here thanks to the hint by Thuryl. Although I never played Za-khazi, I have looked at its design and I figured the Morog scepter to be a reward item so on a hunch I rewarded my cursed item and guess what, its correctly cursed! Only when you place cursed items on the floor in the scene editor do they not get cursed correctly. Weird huh.

Edit: Anyway I went to make sure and it seems the scepter is a dropped item, not a reward item. But anyway the theory is the same, cursed item do not work if they are placed on floor in scene edit.