Simple messenger script

Here's a script for a simple messenger NPC. This NPC will follow the party, at a distance specified in memory cell 4, and occasionally put up a text bubble saying "Psst! I want to talk to you!". If/when the party speaks to the NPC, a flag specified in memory cells 1 and 2 is set and the NPC reverts to standard behavior (as per basicnpc).

Pretty basic stuff, but someone who doesn't know how to script might find it useful. smile

Code:
  // cmessenger.txt// A simple creature that follows the party until his message is delivered. // After that, his behavior is identical to basicnpc.// Memory Cells://   Cell 0 - How creature moves after delivering his message.//     0 - If 0, wander randomly. //     1 - Stands still until a target appears.//     2 - Completely immobile, even if target appears.//   Cell 1,2 - Stuff done flag. If both 0, nothing (and messenger will continue//     following the party forever). Otherwise when the message//     is deliverd this is set to 1. (Example: If cell 1 is 3 and cell 2 is 5, when//     message is delivered, sets SDF(3,5) to 1.)//   Cell 3 - Dialogue node to start with if talked to. If left at 0, this//     character doesn't talk, and will just follow the party forever.//   Cell 4 - How closely to follow party.//   Cell 5 - Messenger behavior. If 0, messenger follows and politely waits for the//     player to initiate dialog. If 1, messenger initiates dialog as soon as he is//     within the range specified in Cell 4.begincreaturescript;variables;short i,target,near;body;beginstate INIT_STATE;  // our creature is always mobile to start with, so remove mobility check present  // in basicnpc  break;beginstate DEAD_STATE;  // by default, nothing to do here for a messengerbreak;beginstate START_STATE;   // if I have a target for some reason, go attack it  if (target_ok()) {    if (dist_to_char(get_target()) <= 16)      set_state(3);      else set_target(ME,-1);    }    // Look for a target, attack it if visible  if (select_target(ME,8,0)) {    do_attack();    set_state(3);    }      // Have I been hit? Strike back!  if (who_hit_me() >= 0) {    set_target(ME,who_hit_me());    do_attack();    set_state(3);    }      if ((get_memory_cell(1) != 0 || get_memory_cell(2) != 0) && (get_flag(get_memory_cell(1),       get_memory_cell(2)) == 1)) {  // message already delivered    // Just peacefully move around. Go back to start, if I'm too far    // from where I started.    if ((my_dist_from_start() >= 6) || ((my_dist_from_start() > 0) &&         (get_memory_cell(0) > 0))) {      if (get_ran(1,1,100) < 40)         return_to_start(ME,1);    }    else if (get_memory_cell(0) == 0) {      fidget(ME,25);    }  } else {    // just follow party. If we're within range, either fidget or put up a text bubble    near = maintain_dist_to_char(ME, 0, get_memory_cell(4));    if (near == TRUE) {   // already within range, didn't need to move      if (get_memory_cell(5) == 1) {  // initiate dialog as soon as we're within range        if (get_memory_cell(1) != 0 || get_memory_cell(2) !=0)          set_flag(get_memory_cell(1), get_memory_cell(2), 1);        begin_talk_mode(get_memory_cell(3));      } else {  // politely wait for the player to initiate dialog        if (get_ran(1,1,100) < 60) {          text_bubble_on_char(ME, "Psst! I want to talk to you!");        } else {          fidget(ME,10);        }      }    }  }  // if we're in combat and the above didn't give me anything to do, just  // stop now. Otherwise, game will keep running script, and that eats up CPU time.  if (am_i_doing_action() == FALSE)    end_combat_turn();break;beginstate 3; // attacking  if (target_ok() == FALSE)    set_state(START_STATE);  do_attack();break;beginstate TALKING_STATE;  if (get_memory_cell(3) == 0) {    print_str("Talking: It doesn't respond.");    end();  }  // talking, so we can deliver our message... set the flag  if (get_memory_cell(5) != 1 && (get_memory_cell(1) != 0 || get_memory_cell(2) !=0))    set_flag(get_memory_cell(1), get_memory_cell(2), 1);  begin_talk_mode(get_memory_cell(3));break;
-spdyerbytes

EDIT: Changed script to affect messenger behavior, as suggested by Isaac, depending on the value of memory cell 5. If Cell 5 is 0, the messenger follows and waits politely for the player to initiate dialog. If Cell 5 is 1, the messenger will initiate dialog as soon as he is within the distance specified in Cell 4.

Depending on the circumstance, you might want the messenger to start a conversation without the player's initiative. For example, instead of this:

Code:
if (get_ran(1,1,100) < 60) {        text_bubble_on_char(ME, "Psst! I want to talk to you!");      } else {        fidget(ME,10);      }
use this:

Code:
// talking, so we can deliver our message... set the flag  if (get_memory_cell(1) != 0 || get_memory_cell(2) !=0) {    if(get_flag(get_memory_cell(1), get_memory_cell(2) == 0) {      set_flag(get_memory_cell(1), get_memory_cell(2), 1);      begin_talk_mode(get_memory_cell(3));      }    }

Sure, that'd work. smile I just (personally) tend to hate having initiative taken away from me, as a player, unless there's a DURN good reason for it. wink Still, I could see circumstances where there just might be a durn good reason for it. smile

When I get a few spare moments, maybe I'll code an alternative that either waits politely or interrupts, based on the value of a memory cell, and replace the script in the first post with it.

-spyderbytes

As an intermediate approach, Kharl in Sweetgrove starts a conversation with you, saying only that he wants you to come and talk to him. Unfortunately, since he does this every time I enter town, it's quite annoying. My approach at least takes care of that.