Monsters dropping items...

Eldiran

I'm having trouble with the concept of monster dropping items. I once assigned a monster to drop a steel dagger, 100% chance (via the editor), and he dropped nothing. I also set another monster to drop a crude kinfe 100% of the time, and a Bronze Longsword 50% of the time. The documents say that the monster will only carry one weapon, the last one it is given. The monster, when killed, dropped neither, even though the knife had a 100% chance. I was hoping that half the time he would have a longsword, the other half he would have a knife. But he had neither.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Quote:
Originally written by Eldiran:
I also set another monster to drop a crude kinfe 100% of the time, and a Bronze Longsword 50% of the time. The documents say that the monster will only carry one weapon, the last one it is given. The monster, when killed, dropped neither, even though the knife had a 100% chance. I was hoping that half the time he would have a longsword, the other half he would have a knife. But he had neither.
I would imagine the two items are not dependent on each other. In other words, in that scenario above the monster would always drop a knife and have a 50% chance of also dropping a bronze longsword. It's beyond me why they didn't drop, though...

It just occured to me that it might be due to the fact that the game occasionally erases items to make space... though I would hope that wouldn't happen to the strongest of the items being placed (the steel dagger that did not appear, for example).

In that case the other loot, leather armor and the like, did appear, but not the dagger.

Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually.

Another in a long list of things I should have documented but forgot to.

When a monster is killed, any item in its inventory that has a value of less than 100 coins and is not magic has a 40% chance of disappearing instead of dropping on the ground. This was put in to keep the town's item buffer from being swamped by useless items (and keeping the player from having to sort through lots of trash).

If you want the party to find an item for sure, make it magic or high value, place it with put_item_on_spot when the creature dies, or place in in the town, not on a character.

- Jeff