Skills Bug in the Avernum Series

Dastal

In some of the Avernum games, there is a bug where if you raise a stat to it's maximum (100 + modifiers) and then recieve a point in the stat from somewhere, you can then raise the stat above its maximum. Using this strategy, I have just gotten a game in Avernum 3 where I have 250 in almost all of the stats (singleton + knowledge brew + herb lore == teh roxorz!). With the editor, this is even easier. I haven't really tried to find a maximum, but it's above 500. I have seen this bug in Avernum 2 and Avernum 3. I also suspect, though I have no way of confirming my suspicions, that you you could train untrainable special stats buy managing to raise them to above 100, perhaps with 34 mind crystals. Chears!

Quote:
Originally written by Dastal:
In some of the Avernum games, there is a bug where if you raise a stat to it's maximum (100 + modifiers) and then recieve a point in the stat from somewhere, you can then raise the stat above its maximum. Using this strategy, I have just gotten a game in Avernum 3 where I have 250 in almost all of the stats (singleton + knowledge brew + herb lore == teh roxorz!). With the editor, this is even easier. I haven't really tried to find a maximum, but it's above 500. I have seen this bug in Avernum 2 and Avernum 3. I also suspect, though I have no way of confirming my suspicions, that you you could train untrainable special stats buy managing to raise them to above 100, perhaps with 34 mind crystals. Chears!
There's a limit on it, I think, but it doesn't work very well, so the game just crashes if the limit is reached. Kelandon explains it quite well in his HLPM.

- Archamgi Micael