Editor, again

Tonweya

I'm not sure I'm asking in the correct terminolgy, so please bear with me.

I think, (am asking), EVERY function is done by a Node, Y/N?

"Node" appears to be the name for a "Token", or "Bit" that is checked for status of the required function, Y/N?

It's the NODE, itself, which is the SDF because it becomes an SDF when the Author so designates a NODE to do a certain function, Y/N?

As such, there isn't a listing of the 10 x 300 SDF's. It's just a maximum amount of designations allowed in this particular Editor, Y/N?

So, if I want to have the Party acquire an item, I set a Node to "Get Item". But, I have to use another Node to see if they already "have" that item, Y/N?

This, in turn, allows, (or not), the Party to get the item, ( or so it seems).

So, the minimum number of Nodes needed to acquire an Item would be two; one to "Get Item" and another to check to see if they already "Have Item", Y/N?

If this is right, then it all seems perfectly logical to me. The only problem is the terminology, which is what the original writer of the Program decided upon.

And the terminology seems to be what must be learned ONLY by familiarizing one's self by using the Editor.

If what I've just said seems a bit excessive, I think it's because I'm beginning to "get it".

Now, if I can just apply this to the If/Then thingy-do, I'll be fine. eek

In advance, thanx,

me laugh

Nodes and SDFs are completely different. A node is something that performs an action; an SDF just stores information. Some nodes set or check SDFs, but others have nothing to do with SDFs at all.

You only need one node to give the party an item, but you'd need another node to set an SDF to store the information that they've been given the item (so that it can't be given twice, for example).

Quote:
Originally written by Ahbleza:

I'm not sure I'm asking in the correct terminolgy, so please bear with me.
I think, (am asking), EVERY function is done by a Node, Y/N? Yes.

"Node" appears to be the name for a "Token", or "Bit" that is checked for status of the required function, Y/N? Yes.

It's the NODE, itself, which is the SDF because it becomes an SDF when the Author so designates a NODE to do a certain function, Y/N? No. As Thuryl says, SDF's are seperate from nodes but nodes are essential for using SDF's. Nodes are the only access you have to SDF's.

As such, there isn't a listing of the 10 x 300 SDF's. It's just a maximum amount of designations allowed in this particular Editor, Y/N? Not sure. I would say that the limit exists because there is a listing and that's how big the listing is.

So, if I want to have the Party acquire an item, I set a Node to "Get Item". But, I have to use another Node to see if they already "have" that item, Y/N? It depends on what you want to do.

This, in turn, allows, (or not), the Party to get the item, ( or so it seems).
So, the minimum number of Nodes needed to acquire an Item would be two; one to "Get Item" and another to check to see if they already "Have Item", Y/N? You can get very complicated when giving an item if you want.

The generic One-Time Give Item will only require one node since once it is given the first time the SDF that you indicate is changed to 250 automatically which in game terms means 'dead node'. The special will not be executed again.

But if you want to display a seperate message if the party tries to get the item again then you will need to check if they already have it first.

(If-Then:Stuff Done Equal - (x,y)SDF=250 then go to node that displays message 'you already got it', else go to node that gives item and changes above SDF to 250.) This example uses three nodes.

If you want you can get even more complicated by causing something else to happen if they try to get it too many times.

(in more formal notation)
Quote:
Code:
0 Check flag 1,0 equal 250; if yes go to 2; else 1
1 One-Time Give Item 43; quantity-1; SDF 1,0; display message 'you got item #43 from king'; end
2 Incriment flag 1,1; increase by 1; go to 3
3 Check flag 1,1; if >=5 go to 6; if <4 go to 4; else go to 5
4 Display Message 'King says he already gave you item #43'; end
5 Display Message 'Don't ask again, it's annoying.'; end
6 Move Party to x,y outside of castle; display message 'The King throws you out of the castle.'; go to 7
7 Set Flag 1,2 to 1; end This SDF can then be checked at the gate to get in the castle and if it is 1 then use Can't Enter, display message 'The King refuses to see you.'
So that was seven nodes plus at least two for the gate and you'll probably want to do something that will allow the party back in to see the king like a special quest, or a general timer for when the king is less annoyed with you. You can make it as easy or as complicated as you want.

If this is right, then it all seems perfectly logical to me. The only problem is the terminology, which is what the original writer of the Program decided upon. And the terminology seems to be what must be learned ONLY by familiarizing one's self by using the Editor. If what I've just said seems a bit excessive, I think it's because I'm beginning to "get it". Now, if I can just apply this to the If/Then thingy-do, I'll be fine. eek
In advance, thanx,
me laugh

Shucks!

Just when I thought I was beginning to get the hang of this thing.

It's a heck of a lot easier to understand in the "Basic" format you explained. That, I can "see". It's a shame I can't write it like that. I type pretty well and understood Basic since the kids were on C-64's.

This really is a confusing way of doing things.

N E how.... Back to the book.

Thanks a bunch to both of you.

me