First Thoughts

RaustBlackDragon

Hey, just thought I'd make a quick post to talk about what I think about A2:tC so far.

Loving the intro music, definitely one of my favorites in the whole franchise, up there with the geneforge 5 one.

I love the addition of the gender choice. The female blademaster looks awesome with that blue cape and more slender frame, I can just picture her doing berserk leap and looking awesome doing it, and the male sorcerer looks SO. AWESOME! (I know there's a language policy here so I figured I wouldn't take chances, but I was planning on using the word bad***)

...Sadly, I take serious issue with the new shadowwalker graphics. I loved their designs in the first avadon game, but these new ones don't look like anything remotely associated with shadows. They look like people cosplaying at a spiderweb software con (especially the female one). The almost totally unobscured faces I imagine has something to do with it. They just look like soldiers in blue, they don't have the ninja-esque feel to them.

I picked tinkermage for my class, because since the main character is the only character who will ever have to fight anything alone (don't know for sure but knowing the series there's a seriously good chance), I figure it best if said character is the one who can summon reinforcements. Plus, new class, I figure I gotta check it out. And so far it seems pretty cool. I love the idea of a magipunk engineer, and those constructs he'll be able to make look really useful. And it also doesn't seem like there's a hard "1 summon per character" limit, since I was able to summon a turret while another one was still there, so I'm excited about the potential.

I appreciate how the prerequisites have been eased up on, though that one on the left column I still find problematic.

Also, great job going the avernum route with evasion, definitely a good idea, now dexterity is no longer quite so overpowered. I'm going to assume that the "All AOE non-magic attacks use dexterity" phenomenon is still in place, but I'm hoping I'm wrong, because that doesn't really seem necessary, and it renders the left column useless to pure melee fighters.

The writing is top-notch as usual (the "But still" on the game over screen made me burst out laughing), no complaints there. I'm curious if the beginning segment is different between classes, because the trap tutorial seemed specific to tinkermages.

I'm curious to find out what the fates of the protagonist, Sevelin, Nathalie, Jenell and Shima were from the previous game. It would be so cool if I got to see them again (obviously the protagonist will be mentioned absurdly vaguely and only in passing if at all, but I can hope for better from the others, so I shall). Also, Redbeard looks LIVID in that artwork I saw, I wonder how much he's changed after the attack. This is all so exciting, I can't wait to see more!

I'll add any further thoughts I have as I continue playing, but so far, great game!