The Quest-Difficulty in Games

Death Knight

I just finished completing a game called the Quest by Redshift, a small indie company that makes old school games. The game is very much like A Bard's Tale, but in present day. Basically a lot of things are very simplistic about the game for most players.

I was tearing the game up with a dexterity based melee Seiry (the rogue race in this game), and when getting to the end I noticed that while it was hard, there happened to be things I thought about such as how much easier certain parts of the game would be with ranged bow and arrow and how balanced the game's combat was.

I completed the game and was satisfied with the last boss fight but I thought of something in games.

Do you all think that in rpgs like these, its better for each type of combat style to be almost completely balanced or have one that is outclassing the others except for a few small details. In that particular game, melee was good when facing large amounts of fighting enemies, but trying to get up to a mage was a real pain. Whereas an archer outclasses them all, and eventually mages become useless as magic immunity for enemies happens in the 3rd expansion.

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
I just finished completing a game called the Quest by Redshift, a small indie company that makes old school games. The game is very much like A Bard's Tale, but in present day. Basically a lot of things are very simplistic about the game for most players.

I was tearing the game up with a dexterity based melee Seiry (the rogue race in this game), and when getting to the end I noticed that while it was hard, there happened to be things I thought about such as how much easier certain parts of the game would be with ranged bow and arrow and how balanced the game's combat was.

I completed the game and was satisfied with the last boss fight but I thought of something in games.

Do you all think that in rpgs like these, its better for each type of combat style to be almost completely balanced or have one that is outclassing the others except for a few small details. In that particular game, melee was good when facing large amounts of fighting enemies, but trying to get up to a mage was a real pain. Whereas an archer outclasses them all, and eventually mages become useless as magic immunity for enemies happens in the 3rd expansion.

I've played through that game and around five of the expansions, and yes, the magic immunity that starts in HOL is rather annoying, but it largely negates the incredibly vast advantages that Ravsim (sp? I haven't played in years) enjoy in the first games due to their drain health and drain mana spells. I mean, it reduces combat to "If I can survive two hits, I can win literally any combat in the game with ease".

Also, the quality of expansions after Islands of Fire and Ice seriously deteriorated. This was largely due to the engine breaking down at high levels (it forced classes to converge to highly specialized physical damage and enchantment build to survive), and all the fun little things (like the tavern card games) became irrelevant because you had like ten million gold and noting to spend it on, because the designers put in characters based on the forum's users who would just give you epic level items, which sounds cool until you realize how stupid it is.

Still, if you have an iPhone/Touch/Pad, it's worth dropping the few bucks on the original for several hours of entertainment.

Well yeah, thats what everyone on the forums is complaining about. A lot of the fans of pure magic using characters think its lame that at HOL 3 they are essentially almost useless. I happen to think that there is a set way of playing the game that can be effective. That way is either you play the game as a pure ranged user or as a melee user that also uses ranged weapons as a novelty.

My 1st time in completing the game made me seriously wonder just how gimped some of the melee characters can be when it comes to fighting mages. In reality the etherim would almost be considered better warriors than the nogur and other races as they aren't gimped completely with weak magic resistance like the nogur.

Regardless of all that, what you said about rasvim is news to me as Ive never played the race.