A:EftP - Breaking the game (SPOILERS)

I'm about to complete the game, and I must say that I have enjoyed it as much as Avadon (my first spiderweb game). Unfortunatelly, I left the Scimitar "final" quest for my last important quest.

I wandered Avernum for hours and hours until I realized that there wasn't any other means apart from Athron to obtain the first password key. She was my first dragon killed in the game, but after talking to Erika, I was sure that there was an altenative to obtaining the password she had; so, as I said, after hours of frustrating explorations, I gave up and looked at the forums. I was surprised to see that in fact, I did broke the game, and I put myself in a non-win situation.

Is there any reason to keep this "feature" in the remake? Yeah, I know, it was not wise to kill Atrhon so soon, but the punishment is waaaaaay to harsh. I can't win the game without using cheats because of this decision? Thats going too far.

Anyway, I'm just curious; is there any thorough reason to keep this non-win situation? As for me, I'm a bit disappointed.

Thanks!

Even as it is, some people complained about the game being "dumbed down" and reducing the number of choices available to the player: I don't see it that way, but taking away the option to kill the dragons might have been a bridge too far. Anyway, just use the cheat to revive Athron -- that's what it's there for.

Well, I understand the value to keep faithful to the original, but as I understand, many other changes have been made to the gameplay (I never played the original ones). I just believe that this particular issue could have been adressed somehow, for the benefit of gameplay.

But, anyway, it's just a little mistake in a game that I have enjoyed inmensely.