exit to land

Wrapped in spoiler just in case, wanted to know what was supposed to happen in this segment of the game.

Click to reveal..

On the "get back to land" mission, I get to a fake land thing, and then kill everyone, circle back to Sulfras.. did I miss something or was the whole thing just to get to the trap? I felt cheated and beat the hell out of Sulfras, not sure if I was supposed to do that but it sure felt good.

It seems like nothing really changes after the whole thing. Maybe I'm supposed to report to Scimitar in Bargha since it's their project? Or there isn't a conclusion to this mission?

It sounds like you didn't go far enough. From that fake land place, if I recall correctly, there is a hidden switch that will open a passage that takes you through some more tunnels and fights until you get to a room where you can't see past one square ahead of yourself. There will be some nasty monsters to fight in there, as well as some more hidden switches to find and some wheels to turn. Eventually once you've found and turned all the wheels you'll fight another nasty monster and be able to exit to the real surface. The game will then give you the option of staying there on the surface, or heading back down to try to complete some of the other final quests.