Technical doubt (websites and stuff)

Little Fyora

I've been thinking about this for quite some time. The image I've used as my avatar (the Fyora) is the one which is inside Spiderweb Software's main website, from the Geneforge Creations page. I've directly linked my avatar URL to that image.

Question : Will this have a negative impact on the SS website ?

My reasoning is : 100 members look at this topic. So my avatar image will have to be loaded on 100 different computers. And each time, the browser will have to request this image from the SW server (spiderwebsoftware.com). This will overload the server, thus making it slower and eventually -if enough people look at this topic- causing a breakdown.

Is my reasoning correct ? And if not, what is it that really happens ?

Spiderweb's servers host traffic several orders of magnitude larger than an image of that size (game demos, for instance), even if one hundred people are viewing it at once. If you're really concerned, get a photobucket account (or something like it). You could add transparency while you're at it.

Little Fyora: The answer is that it does drain bandwidth from Spiderweb's site. It would probably be nice of you to change your avatar link. There were times in the past when mods set up forum pages to link to a game title image from the main Spiderweb site (i.e., "Geneforge 4") - and Spiderweb asked us not to do that as it leeches their bandwidth.