A5 Item Editor?

Matchstk

After enjoying EFTP, I decided to play through A5 and A6 again. Almost done with A5, but I mistakenly sold some Fine Leathers and now I can't give the +5 Spellcraft gloves to both my magic users.

Is there a cheat code for giving items? I found a thread with an item list, but reading about columns in Word and Excel gave me a headache. And I don't think it was about getting items anyway.

Is A5 item-hacking proof? I just want 5 Fine Leathers, how hard could it be?

Thanks.

It's not hard if you're willing to do a small script edit. Here's what you do:

First, locate a clickable sign in a town, like the guest quarters signs in Blackchasm Outpost. (Town scripts are easier to find than random zone scripts).

Then, locate the dialogue script for that town (Avernum 5 Files --> Scripts). It will be named something like "z(some number)Tnameoftowndlg.txt". So for example, Blackchasm's dialogue script is called "z17Tblackcrdlg.txt". Make a back-up copy of the script before you alter it.

Use the search function in the script to find your sign. It should look something like this:

Code:
begintalknode 74;	state = -1;	nextstate = -1;	condition = 1;	question = "special";	text1 = "The sign says:";	text2 = "  Guest Quarters A";

Add some code at the end, like this (exactly):

Code:
begintalknode 74;	state = -1;	nextstate = -1;	condition = 1;	question = "special";	text1 = "The sign says:";	text2 = "  Guest Quarters A";	code = 		reward_give(294);		reward_give(294);		reward_give(294);		reward_give(294);		reward_give(294);	break;

Save your changes, then go back into the game and click the sign. You now have five fine leathers.