Finished Avadon-My Thoughts

Death Knight

Well, i have to say-a very good change for the party-based setting. Avadon, so far has been my favorite game based on everything it offers. Geneforge still, to me had a better story. But avadon had many perks i couldnt find in geneforge. My thoughts on the characters are that i found redbeard to be kind of evil when it came to running everything. I stayed loyal to him as it was first time around and it made the most sense. I found him to be interesting in the beginning, but by the last few scenes, he was nothing more than a ruthless dictator that aided who best gave him aid. Some of the things i found distasteful were that he pardoned cahil, which was pretty low in my book as sevelin got messed up from that.

Overall, the experience was good, as with most games made by Jeff. I only hope that jeff follows up with avadon 2 some day as i found it to in my eyes be a mix of the good things both avernum and geneforge games had.

Quote:
Some of the things i found distasteful were that he pardoned cahil

but, he pardoned Cahil because he provided valuable intelligence information.

In fact, the judicial systems in most countries do this, every day, and have for hundreds of years.

it's not uncommon for the FBI in the US to pardon a snitch, even if the local authorities want that person for murder.

sometimes the bigger fish are what's important.

How do you know that Redbeard wasn't on to someone who was causing far more trouble than Cahil ever dreamed of doing, and that Cahil's info was helping track down who that was?

I rather thought Jeff played that dialogue feature quite well; I'm still conflicted about helping the Wayfarer.

That makes sense and i know where jeff was going with it and what you are trying to say, but for me sevelin's character was so realistic in what happened to him. Maybe it was because i felt sorry for him that i got a little angry at redbeard. It does make sense what you said though.

The wayfarer was just a rogue. I was actually kind of surprised that he got beat by redbeard as miranda said redbeard was weakened. Then again redbeard was kind of a tough character so i guess it made sense.

Im surprised i forgot to ask this before. Does anyone know if jeff has it in mind to make a sequel to avadon (2) in the future or will he be more focused on avernum 2?

I was thinking he was going to do-

-Avernum-EFTP

-Avernum 2 Crystal souls

-Avadon

-Geneforge Remake.

Just wondering as it makes sense for him to do it like this-

-Avernum-EFTP

-Avadon 2

-Geneforge Remake

-Avernum 2

I could be wrong but im just wondering as avadon was great and so is my favorite game!

That person was, in fact, DEATH KNIGHT!

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
I talked to jeff a month ago about geneforge. He said he will be remaking the entire series, however he doesnt know how he will go about doing it. He said he would either get done with avernum, then avadon 2, then do a geneforge 1 remake, or hold off until the avernum remakes are done.

I would hope for the former, that way each group of fans are satisfied. Plus, a geneforge 1 remake will be epic.

Given how quickly AEFTP got done, and given that Avernum 2 predates Geneforge 1 anyway, I think it's a good bet that A1-3 will all be remade (at least) before any Geneforge remakes happen.

Thats pretty funny. smile Well he said 2-3 years so what you just said makes sense completely. Avadon 2, Avernum 2, Avernum 3, etc. Geneforge. Honestly, its not the biggest deal. Although i like avadon the most, geneforge is great and avernum is just as well.

I will say this though, avadon vs. remake versions of geneforge is going to be a tough call for me.

I'd add that this is one of the better developed rpgs I've played over the years; takes me back to the old Baldur's Gate days.

one minor quibble at the very end:

the riposte on Redbeard's soul statues makes it so that you can't have melee warriors attack them. even half the amount of riposte would still be devastating, but as it is, ONE riposte kills a warrior with 400hps. It's just too much.

if you want to have overpowered riposte on redbeard when he's fully powered up, ok, but on the statues seems ridiculous.

also, while acid/poison based damage seems to do decent damage to me and mine, it seems to do very little damage to most enemies, given that it is typically the high-level tier damage for elemental range attackers (shadow, shaman, sorc). I found cold to typically do much more damage than acid; even fire when enemies aren't simply immune to it?

*shrug*

I've been playing Mass Effect for the first time, recently, and I didn't realize it was where Jeff drew some of his major ideas for Avadon. I was worried that the games would overlap, but I never expected the dinky and visually unimpressive indie game to be superior to the big budget Action RPG in almost every way. Jeff understands what's important in an RPG and delivers where it counts.

I don't know whether it's sad or heartening to think about how a large developer like Bioware and all its resources were completely surpassed by a lone man in his basement. Avadon deserves more praise than it gets. I hope Jeff continues making and updating his games for a long time.

Probably the best thing about avadon that i am going to ask jeff to keep up with, is the minor solo main character adventures. That right there was really cool as it separates the adventure and the party where you alone are the only one to get by. It really made the game even more awesome i think.

And yes you are right, jeff surpassed them. But mainly because he took what bioware did well, and added what he does well. And you cant really go wrong with that. Im largely bias, but I think avadon 2 will shine no matter what.