improved path-finding algorithms

mad_dog_killa

man so like errr?... ehhh?.. i guess i'm a student?.. yeah.. kind of.. student in informatics 2nd year. sooo?.. what i meant is?.. we learn these algorithms about graphs - Roy-Floyd, Roy-Warshall, Malgrange, Dantzing 1 and 2, Yen, Bellman-Kalaba, Ford-Fulkerson, Kruskal, Prim etc. they can be used for path-finding. well err?.. maybe you only need Roy-Floyd actually.. i made 2 java applets?.. which implement Roy-Floyd and Roy-Warshall?.. but err?.. you know i tried to put it on my site but the problem is?.. yeah.. they use functions which aren't safe for the err?.. the internet thing?.. so they can only be run offline right now. i mean during battle?.. sometimes when i try to attack with a spell caster, my player doesn't always go straight ahead to the enemy to cast that spell you know?.. i'm talking about avadon. which is errr?.. kind of.. wrong?.. or if he doesn't see the enemy.. so like.. you can use these algorithms you know? to improve the game? also maybe it would be a good idea to add different terrain types - like.. if you walk on water?.. it costs more action points. so ehh?.. you kind of.. treat each square as a node in a graph. and the distances are the action points required to move on that spot. you build the graph using a matrix, you use the algorithm and you determine the cheapest way (AP related) to move in that spot. also maybe some terrain types could be used to take cover?.. i mean?.. if you hide behind a tree you should be able to cast a spell and hit some dude. but he shouldn't hit you very good because you're under cover i mean?.. yeah.. pretty cool huh?.. like that game Jagged Alliance you know? i liked JA1 but JA2 is like.. omg.. did i say JA2?.. that horrible game?.. yeah.. i guess i did.. so it's very stoopid.. there's a single flaw in the game which basically ruins all the strategy..

I have trouble imagining something the complex applied to one of Jeff's games, as he tends to focus more on plot than engine. That's not to say it's not an intriguing concept... I think there are some first person shooters that do something of the sort, but I'm afraid my computer would have a fit trying to run such a thing.

As it is, I rely on tabletop RPGs to go beyond the limits of what Jeff can do. So far, it's worked fairly well. Otherwise, I'm sure someone will get around to it in computer form eventually, if they haven't already.

ah.. ok?.. whatever man i'ma watch devil's advocate.. i detest this movie even from its stupid title and i think everybody who likes it is kind of err?.. you know.. IN THE HEAD?... but since i heard about it yesterday on radio?.. i'll gather all my patience and try to watch it - i only want to understand why others would like it so much when i don't. see?.. i'm more like aaa?... yes.. like a psychic shaman - i'm into psychology and stuff

• 2 weeks later...

So tonight I had to go eat dinner with "The Fam" by The Fam I mean my girlfriends mother and step dad. After I got home we recorded the December episode of Geopunk (tinyurl.com/geopunk, hate me later for shameless promotion). Then when I was done, I told the GF I would check to see if A:EFTP (Avernum: Escape From The Pit, for those not in the know) was out. It was at this time I saw this post. I truly have no idea what's going on in this post. I think its something important, but im not sure.