Anyone who has visited my site in the last 48 hours.

keira

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
Well, my plan is to ultimately get them to give me a year of hosting free for even daring to suggest that my tiny little website is too much for their servers to handle.

<3 <3 <3

Originally Posted By: Joules
Edit: And really their complaint was the # of requests rather than the bandwidth. Shouldn't be too hard to fix, but still... We can't even be close to what a 'real' website is using.

That's...still stupid. one request every five seconds, plus one when a message is posted, and maybe 20 when someone first loads the chat (three js files, the actual page, plus the css and smileys).

Anywho, server is back online, CalRef chat is "currently not open at the moment".

Originally Posted By: Narg
CalRef chat is "currently not open at the moment".

FMT

Currently running a version less messed up by me, I'll be anal-retentively watching the access logs vomited by the host, and periodically rolling out some of my changes (like the chat themes full of css with -moz- extensions yay!). Also putting all the chat stuff in a SVN repo on my test machine (hahahaha this url won't work because it's not real outside of my hosts file!!!).

• 2 weeks later...

A revival, I realize, but I had to share this gem. I was emailed a reminder that I needed to do something that required a login and password. My ID and password were both emailed to me in plaintext. There are so very many problems with that.

—Alorael, who is now glad he never changed that password from the random string that was initially given to him to change into something more reasonable. Character salad will do just fine if it will be helpfully resent whenever he needs it.

Because of the bump, I get to correct a previous post of mine:

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
My credit union requires me to enter my debit card number and a five digit code, so yeah, same boat. The site also asks me a random security question every time I log in from a new computer.

It also displays an image and caption once I log in, but that's an anti-phishing feature, not an authentication feature. Phishing sites won't know which image I picked and which caption I wrote. Of course, it's too late if you notice you're on the wrong site after you've entered your credentials...

EDIT: Huh, now that I think about it, a phishing site could send your credentials to the actual site and mirror all content dynamically, including your image and caption...

The chosen image and caption is actually displayed before I log in (but after I send my debit card number), which makes a little more sense (you can tell if you're on a phishing site before you send your password). Hmm, same problems arise: phishing site sends your debit card number to the actual site, retrieves the photo and caption, and displays it on the phishing site.