Xerch'de

Xerch'de

Mac/Windows

Author: Zxquez

Rating:

Difficulty:

Version: 1.0.0

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6IlhlcmNoJ2RlIiwidGlkIjoiMTU2ODEiLCJ0YWdzIjpbXSwiYmdhc3AiOnsiNSI6MCwiNCI6MSwiMyI6MTEsIjIiOjYsIjEiOjB9fQ==]

Composite Score: 2.7/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/18)

Good: 5.56% (1/18)

Average: 61.11% (11/18)

Substandard: 33.33% (6/18)

Poor: 0.00% (0/18)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords:

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

From TM on the CSR:

Finally, we have a scenario from Zxquez with a plot that is good, things that happen, and decent fighting. Is this a sign of the coming apocalypse?

Xerch'de is small. No, let me ammend that- It's tiny. It's smaller than Chapman's, it's smaller than RoR, and it's smaller than Babysitting. The whole scenario takes place in the span of two towns and has no outdoors whatsoever.

The plot is decent. There is a small if not meaningless choice, and the implications of the plot can be seen all around. None of the personalities are outstanding- but heck, the scenario is only two towns big! How can they be? Everything fits together solidly. Some ends are left open- for instance, what did the bad guys do before that they don't stand a chance of doing now? Nevertheless, the scenario is so short and understandable that the player is never bothered to ask these questions.

Combat ranges. In one room, you'll find a group of level 7 soldiers, and in the room after that, you'll find level 7 soldiers mixed in with level 15 witches. (Of course, the scenario recommends a fairly advanced level party, meaning that none of the combat is too difficult for the party.)

Custom graphics are used, but to little effect. Town design is sketchy at points, and the main city could have used some more guards. Still, nothing was overtly nonsensical.

Overall, worth playing. There isn't much in the way of headbashing, and unlike Chapman's or Za-Khazi, it's better than doing nothing at all.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Buttered Toast on the CSR:

A very short scenario. More like a snack. This should have been labeled as a test scenario.

I liked the vote. It gave two very slight variations. Also if you stole the voting sheet you died which was interesting.

The town and dungeon were completely standard. Nothing interesting.

The items were all standard.

The only interesting monsters were the witches which shot lightning.

A neat little scenario worth playing.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Nasarius on the CSR:

The first town is good. Not perfect, but it works, and it contains a fun character or two.

After the vote, it's all downhill. Nothing makes much sense, and it's very very short. The impression I get is that the author didn't know quite what to do, so he just finished it as quickly as possible. There's not even a proper conclusion after you get your reward.

The scenario shouldn't have been released in its current form, just because of its size. Even some filler along the lines of, say, the Orb of Thralni quest, would have made this a better scenario.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From an unknown reviewer on the CSR:

Eh, it was sort of fun for a couple of minutes. But then the combat got so hard so quickly that I lost interest, came back in with a much stronger party, and wiped out everything and upon seeing the ending, said, "I did everything for that?"

Kinda interesting until you realize that it's less than a bite of a scenario. I give it a rating of [rating]SUBSTANDARD[/rating]: it's just underdeveloped, not really bad.

From Linthar on the CSR:

Xerch'de is extremely short, and utterly average. There are hardly any things that irritates me, but there is equally few things that I really enjoyed. There is some promise in the scenario but for the scenario to be enjoyable its needs to be lengthened and more fleshed out at the least.

So I am giving Xerch'de a rating of [rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Wizcozski on the CSR:

It was indeed a nice afternoon snack. I definitely enjoyed playing it, but was disappointed by its quick and sudden finish line. It had great potential to go on with the story, have lots of towns, make a political statement, make the player follow an investigation or something. But no. You went down a ladder and Ariel could've cared less. Mr. Opportunity-For-A-Very-Decent-Scenario called and sweet Zxquez put him on hold. Keep on truckin'.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Imban on the CSR:

Babysitting's being really short was okay because it was challenging. This was pointless and just a quick stop for loot, with only one "neat" feature - a tiny plot branch.

Balance is off, by the way - spell levels sold here are way above the curve.

Also, despite being one of the shortest scenarios around, it had not one but two bugs in two towns (with one capable of occuring in either town!). Woo.

[rating]SUBSTANDARD[/rating]

From Ephesos on the CSR:

After playing it once, I decided to play it again and go for the different voting choice. I was dismayed to find a virtually identical conclusion.

Nonetheless, it was playable, and that's commendable. It's just hideously short, with no outdoors and very little in the way of interesting town design.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Lazarus on the CSR:

OMFG, Zxquez made it...

Yet I don't feel like I just got worked over by a gorilla with a baseball bat. A Zxquez scenario that doesn't cause bodily harm...... Brilliant!

As has been stated earlier, this scenario is far too short. Besides this there is nothing terribly wrong with it. If you're disappointed by it's length, then at least you only wasted about half an hour playing it.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From VCH on the CSR:

Xerch'de is obviously a first attempt at scenario creation. Though it is small, very small, taking place within a single town, it still delivers a solid gaming experience. We need to encourage any new scenarios for BOA so a rating of [rating]AVERAGE[/rating] is justified in my opinion. Its certainly not going to break any new ground. But the fact remains that Xerch'de is a descent scenario that will provide at least a half hour of gaming. The scenario involves some in game cinematics which function well to advance the plot. The voting option was also well executed. So yes this is a short but overall good scenario that needs to be played by all. My Suggestion to the Creator of Xerch'de is, take what you've accomplished here and implement it into a scenario of longer length and you'll do fine. ResPek..