Israel

Dantius

(First off, I'm not quite sure if this topic is considered "kosher" [no pun intended] by the administration, so if I've crossed any lines here, feel free to lock the thread, I'll just cry for a few minutes instead of an hour.)

So I saw that recently, an Israeli ship has just attacked an aid flotilla, in international waters headed for Gaza and taken prisoner/killed many of the peaceful occupants on boards, under the claim that it was in "self defense" against... something.

I also saw that Obama refused to condemm Israel for the attacks.

I'm very strongly conflicted on this topic. On the one hand, Israel gets quite a lot of leeway on pretty much anything, and rightly so, since they're trying to fight a war against an enemies that would willingly sacrifice itself and other and go to any means to destroy Israel. Also, being oppressed, tortured, murdered, and marginalized for the past four thousand years has got to get you a lot of goodwill. On the other hand, attacking an aid ship in international waters, fabricating an excuse, and then refusing to accept any responsibility or admit that you're wrong is just beyond reprehensible. I really can't come to a decision here, the whole thing is just a mess.

That said, you all seem like you should have interesting opinions on this, and I'm curious to hear them.

I could talk at length about this, but I'll just focus on one thing.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Also, being oppressed, tortured, murdered, and marginalized for the past four thousand years has got to get you a lot of goodwill.
Does it really? I could see where you're coming from if you just looked at 1947 and onwards. But the history of the Jews (the ethnic group) does nothing to condone or condemn the actions made by Israel (the state).

But then, the concept of a nation-state has always bothered me.