encumbrance and negative effects (exile 1)

Walter

I was wondering how much is known of the formulas are known of weather you will suffer ap loss or mage spell failure due to encumbrance. I have been trying to figure it out, but I have only been able to figure out things to a limited extent.

For instance, defense skill of 7 is needed to fully prevent spell failure from 2 encumbrance, yet 3 encumbrance will always cause failure unless a mitigating item is worn. I've found that skill rings and fang necklaces both mitigate the effect (and a bronze skill ring does stack with a fang necklace), but due to my limited amount of such items in possession at this point and time contraints are making it difficult.

The answer really is pretty simple: limit the encumberance and up the defense skill. For example, in E3 (and I don't know if any of these items are available in E1) I give all my mages low or zero-encumberance armor, such as the Runeshield, Steel-Toed Boots, and Mitril Armor.

I really don't know exactly how much defense you need to consistently overcome each unit of encumberance, and it's probably different between the games and depends on things like level too, so I'm really to lazy to find out for you right now. You could do it yourself though, and the Spiderweb community would be happy to hear of your results. smile

• 6 months later...

Be warned that Defence doesn't actually help very much. Even if you have a lot of it, it usually only reduces your effective encumbrance by a point or two, and you can't always count on it to do even that.

You don't need armour to protect yourself anyway. Just cast a lot of Bless spells when you get into combat. A character blessed four or five times is unhittable to most things.