Numberpad problem on Windows laptop

travesty

I have a Dell XPS laptop which has no dedicated numberpad. Instead, it has a mode where you can use the keys:

UIO

JKL

as the numpad. However, when I do this for character movement, it also registers as the numbers themselves. This is a problem because as you're wondering around, occasionally messages pop up about something the characters notice, etc. Unfortunately, you can press 1 to close these windows, and if I happen to be moving south (1 on the numpad), it closes the window. What's particularly odd is that I can't use the numbers themselves (1 through 9 across the top of the keyboard) as movement keys (not that I would want to), so it's not like the computer can't tell the difference between a regular 1 and a numpad 1. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? I'm tired of having to reload games to read a message that gets closed immediately.

Thanks.

Well, arrow keys only go in four directions, rather than all eight, so that is suboptimal; and I prefer to use the keyboard as much as possible, especially since I only have a mousepad on my laptop. I can make do, and have been doing so. I just find it irritating, and wish there were some way to fix it. Thank you for your advice, but it doesn't really help.