Study

keira

...yeah, sounds pretty vague. But hey, the very last sentence contains a grain of truth. In my opinion, anyway.

Stuff causes things, except in the cases where something else may be causing the things. This is going to be one of those issues that's almost impossible to pin down, if only because there's no control group (as the researcher seemed to find).

(And I'm undecided if it's over the line for the board, truthfully.)

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Sample size of twenty; article doesn't mention how subjects were recruited (selection bias?). No comment for or against the findings, just saying.

Usually how these things work is that somebody puts a note up on the psych department noticeboard offering $35 to anyone who wants to help participate in a study. Small sample sizes are the norm in this kind of research, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Usually how these things work is that somebody puts a note up on the psych department noticeboard offering $35 to anyone who wants to help participate in a study. Small sample sizes are the norm in this kind of research, unfortunately.

I note a excess of capital letters. Really Thuryl, of all the topics to be serious in, you had to pick this one?

EDIT: The conversation is continuing HERE.

What Dintiradan said -- that's a really tiny sample size, given the sweeping generalizations the researcher is attempting to make.

Unfortunately, I'm less undecided than Ephesos. While it's nice that we have all been handling it well so far, it's only a matter of time until that ceases to be the case. Let's end this and continue this (quite worthwhile) discussion at SV or CRF.