Geneforge 5 - Strange Behaviour with Firefox and Windows Media Player

Uncle

Before ranting about my problems I want to say hi seeing as this is my first post... :3

Hi!

Now for the crux of the issue... I am currently running GF5 on an HP Compaq nx7300 with Windows XP Pro in Windowed Mode (1024x768) with all graphics and sounds at minimum. Running the game itself is no hassle but once it's run and I've exited I've noticed that Firefox 3.5 and WMP 10 get pretty messed up.

Firefox 3.5 no longer picks up the correct events and either the menu and toolbars don't react to mouse events or they do but any currently open sites don't.

With Windows Media Player 10 a part of any movie played gets totally mangle and a part of the display redraws itself over and over again.

The only way to solve these problems once they've happened is to either use some other browser and media player or to restart the laptop - obviously this is not ideal frown

I've updated all the drivers and things but the problem persists. I haven't tried running GF5 in any other modes to see if it is still a problem but I use my current mode for a reason so ja...

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas on how to trace and/or fix this?

It is a hassle but it hasn't stopped me from playing GF5!!

well you've got 3 options.

1. Run the system restore on your computer. it'll get rid of all of your manually-installed data, but you can always put it back on.

2. uninstall and reinstall the media player. which might be best.

3. one of the two [firefox or the media player] aren't compatable with your computer system. Rid yourself of one.

Well, you're options arent looking to bright, but one or al are sure to rid you of your problem if you're willing to face the down-sides. I suppose you could download the DX version of Geneforge 5 and see if that works, but then you'd have to install the DX software.

Feel free to elaborate.

EDIT: Artemis thinks that a good defragmenting would do the trick...

I doubt that defragmenting would have any bearing on the problem, although with WIndows one never knows.

Uncle: I fear I have no notion how to solve such a problem, but it may help to make a few details clearer: Does this happen when you run the game full-screen? Do things begin to go wrong only after you close the game, or does it begin while the game is running? Were I Jeff and looking into such a problem these would be things I would likely want to know.

Thanks for the advice!

As far as system restore goes... I disable it immediately as soon as I (re)install an OS on my PC. I simply do not trust it! My installed files and normal data files vary daily and system restore tends to... err... mangle them irreparably frown

As for WMP 10 reinstalling does not solve the problem. The same goes for FF 3.5.

I am now running GF5 in full screen still on Fast Graphics and this seems to work fine which leads me to conclude that running GF5 in Windowed Mode is the problem.

Thunderbird resizes and goes a bit wonky still but that might just be due to the fact the resolution changes and it can't handle that *shrugs* no biggy there.

So ja, problem solved I guess :3