Resolution Question

Pungabo

I have a widescreen monitor too (19") and it does the same thing on mine.

I checked A4 and A5 and I'm not sure why one works and the other doesn't.

Both are set to change the resolution.

So I guess we're in the same boat! smile

My only explanation would be that Avernum 5 was made differently than Avernum 4 and that's why the resolution is weird on it.

Myself I don't see the difference between A4 and A5 with an Apple 30" 16/10 and OS X. Both use the full height not the full width and both has same width.

In Windows I noticed some games use a resolution that stretch the picture to have it full screen on a 16/9 or 16/10 screen which means you get full screen but some graphics distortion.

And the snapshot you provided is in 1024*768 not a widescreen resolution but a standard display. So I bet your A4 fullscreen is with distortion on your widescreen, myself I don't consider that as a plus... But on my 30" I don't care as fullscreen is ugly in any case.

Yes, that's what we noticed as well.

For the older games, A1-A4, the resolution gets changed to 800x600 (1024x768 for A4).

For A5, even when we click change resolution always, we still end up with the band of black on both sides of the screen.

So maybe for A5, it's not changing the resolution properly? I'll try when I get home from work to change the resolution to 1024x768 and then start up A5 to see what happens.

Interesting suggestion, I tried on OSX and on OSX A4 and A5 behave in the same way, I set resolution to 1024*768 stretched and start the game with the option to not change the resolution... and the game change it anyway for both to 1024*768 not stretched. LOL

That said if you want stretched anyway you can use Command H to hide it then again change the resolution to 1024*768 stretched and switch back to the game and then you get both games full screen but with distortion.

Clearly the behavior on Windows isn't the same as in OS X both games behave in the same way.

EDIT: Stretched image is quite ugly, I wonder how Windows users can bear that. grin

It worked!

To those who have widescreen monitors and get the band of black on both sides when playing Avernum 5, just change your resolution to 1024x768 before loading the game.

Avernum 5 will then fill the whole screen, and you can just change it back when done.

In case anybody doesn't know how to change the resolution, for Windows go to an empty area of your desktop and right click. Select Properties > Settings and then change the resolution using the slider bar.

Edit: I'm confused by what you mean Vent, why would it appear stretched when the game is made to be shown in 1024x768?

Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
It worked!
Edit: I'm confused by what you mean Vent, why would it appear stretched when the game is made to be shown in 1024x768?

If you have a widescreen monitor that means that its size has the proportion 16/9 or 16/10 when the standard proportion is 4/3.

This means that the proportion between the height and width is fixed even if the resolution can be changed.

For example, 1024x768 is 4*256 x 3*256. This will have the right proportion on a standard 4/3 monitor. But on a widescreen this resolution can be used full screen with no black borders only by stretching the width. Then the image shown is stretched with a larger width than its original design. And you see everything larger than it should normally.

The point is that plenty Windows games, even with full 3D card and engines, have an original 4/3 design and implement a widescreen fullscreen just by using a stretching resolution managed by the video card and the monitor. But some game manage this differently and show an image larger on a widescreen and use a non stretched resolution for the fullscreen on widescreen. Also few game (don't remember which one I saw offer the choice of a fullscreen stretched or with black borders for widescreen.

Ah okay, I get you.

You meant widescreen monitor users see a stretched image.

Well that said all, no you don't need get a stretched image if you use a widescreen monitor! laugh

Which is a strange thing to say, as not all Windows users would have a widescreen monitor.

Lol ok Windows users with a widescreen!

Also I saw weird Windows behavior but not sure if it was the OS or not, through standard Windows setting have stuff like 1024*768 despite the monitor was widescreen and get stretched image

• 1 month later...